enclosure design question

This is the place where you can ask questions
related to schematics posted on our website
and request new schematics. We will try to post whatever is possible.

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

woodro
Regular poster
Regular poster

enclosure design question

Post by woodro »

hi, i'm in the building stages and have a few questions regarding putting boards etc into enclosures. So far i'm planning on using 19" rack mount enclosure\chassis. I have not been able to locate a large enough (depth) chassis to put all three boards in (transmitter, stereo encoder, compression limiter) and possible power supply. I have 2 smaller rack mount chassis so what i've decided to do is put the transmitter and stereo encoder in one of the chassis\enclosure and use the 2nd enclosure for the compression limiter itself..Both cases\enclosures i would like to mount the rca connectors on the "rear" of the chassis instead of the common front rca mounting commonly seen. Anyone see any issues with this so far?

Next, i'm debating on whether to mount the power supply (s) inside each of the enclosures (space providing) each unit having AC cords to power or installing 12-13.8v dc +\- terminals on the rear of each chassis and having the power fed remotely as i have access to a 3rd rack mount chassis that i could install 2-3 open frame type dc power supplies into. I guess personal preferance plays a part with some of this decision making. At least one advantage i can see by setting the components\chassis up wired for 13.8v is leaving myself the flexability to grab my whole rack (its a shorty!) and go mobile using a 12v auto power source. Ideally i suppose having a switch on the rear of each chassis to be able to choose 13.8v\120v would be the best but not sure if i want to get into that. I want the finished result
to be as professionally done as possible. I've had my gear now for at least 2 weeks anyways and still have not hooked anything up... I plan on taking how ever much time it takes to do everything right hopefully the first time :) comments or suggestions?
thanks, Woody