Question about frequency

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Recon Blazer
New registered user
New registered user

Question about frequency

Post by Recon Blazer »

I know all it takes is a simple signal generator to produce a transmitter, but I am confused on how to design for a given frequency.

I know what frequency means, its the amount of signals per second. But, how would you design for a certain frequency? For example, no matter what station you tune your radio to, you could still hear beeps on that frequency. No matter how quickly those beeps happen, they have a frequency that they beep at, and there is a frequency that they are broadcast on.

How do you know what frequency is the one that you have to tune a radio to hear? For example, let's say I am transmitting 3 beeps a second. I know you can't tune a radio to 3hz, but this is just an example. Would you have to tune the frequency to the Hz that the beeps are, in order to hear it?

What if the beeps were transmitted on 5MHz? How come it's not 3Hz?

I guess what I'm asking is, if I generate a signal at X frequency, ( X being the frequency of your choice ) would you just hear it that many times per second, or would that be the radio frequency it is transmitted on?

I hope it's not confusing, because I don't really know how to ask the question. I'm just confused, because take morse code, for example. There is beeps in that. But, the frequency of beeps can be broadcast on any frequency. So how do you know which frequency is the one that it is being broadcast on?

Thanks a lot in advance for trying to explain this.
"Maybe we're supposed to like, run away <i>before</i> they come to the door." - Butthead
<b>'''''IIIII||||| KNOWLEDGE IS POWER |||||IIIII'''''</B>
AIM: ki11er amoeba