Q: What would happen if I attempted to run 2-antennas?

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

radioboy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Q: What would happen if I attempted to run 2-antennas?

Post by radioboy »

I am curious as to what the ramifications would be if I were to run two antennas off of one transmitter would me.

I currently have the Cybermax 15-20 xmtr. I have a Comet antenna as well as a dipole antenna. During my testing phase I've been alternating between both (which are at different heights and locations, measuring what signal strength I can obtain for different conditions for broadcast.

Then it occured to me, if I were to split the antenna output and run both antennas at the same time, what would happen?

I am no RF engineer, and with my very basic understanding of electronics, my guess is perhaps the transmitter may not have enough power to drive both antennas and a severe mismatch (swr) would occur, and if this in fact is the case .. the swr led should light up, and I would turn off the unit immediately, however- if the dipole (which is tuned to my selected frequency) and the Comet (which, to my understanding is capable of handling the signal- even with a 3db gain) are both in line, my question is would I possibly improve local (or even slight distance coverage)?? -OR- would there be some phase cancellation or other RF-induced issues which my lack of experience and understanding doesn't forsee?

Curious as to your thoughts or input on this.

((Radioboy))
--
Art is a lie that tells the truth." -- Pablo Picasso
> "Whatever Picasso said." --Radioboy
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

It can and is done frequently.

Results will be unpredictable in your case, you'll
probably have unusual radiation pattern with strange nulls
and peaks of great reception.

You can't just connect cables together, that will produce
severe mismatch.

Google for antenna combiners/splitters and phased arrays.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128