FCC actions against pirates

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

FCC actions against pirates

Post by RadioMan »

FYI
I was surfing at the FCC site. Some interesting stuff. Some helpful, a lot not.

1)They have a "frequency Finder" where you put in the latitude & longitue for a given freq and it will tell you if its open or not.

2)Same for call letters.

You can also look up what actions the Commish has taken against Pirates. For instance:
"Pirate Radio: "(The FCC) shut down over 180 pirate broadcast stations through seizure of equipment or following inspections and issuance of warnings. This number is the highest ever achieved. In addition, investigations conducted by the Enforcement Bureau have resulted in the issuance of eight injunctions against pirate broadcasters by federal courts and arrests of two pirate broadcasters by law enforcement agencies."

You can then go on to see what actions were taken against whom. The Feds busted 8 (eight) Miami pirates in one day. One guy was, if I remember right, was popped for the 4th time & was operating at 2,000 watts. I think he got jail time.

If you haven't visted the site it might be worthwhile. FYI.

radioman (I didn't pick that name...Marko did (I think)
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

FCC actions

Post by RadioMan »

I stand corrected. In Miami it was 9-not4.

"The FCC, in conjunction with the U.S. Marshals Service, seized radio equipment by court order from 15 unlicensed broadcast stations in the Miami, Florida, metropolitan area. Of the 15 seizures, 13 of those occurred within a five day period, from July 27 through July 31, 1998. The confiscated equipment had been used to broadcast illegally in violation of Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. § 301.
The seizures occurred against illegal broadcasters operating on 104.1 MHz in Miami; 94.5 MHz in North Miami; 107.1 MHz in Miami Beach; 97.7 MHz in Miami; 89.1 MHz in Miami; 91.7 MHz in Miami; 88.7 MHz in North Miami; 90.9 MHz in Davie; 95.3 MHz in Miami; 90.3 MHz in Homestead; 92.7 MHz in Coconut Grove; 104.7 MHz in Hialeah; 99.5 MHz in Miami; 90.9 MHz in Homestead; and 101.1 MHz in Coconut Grove. These seizures are a part of the FCC's on-going enforcement efforts against unlicensed broadcast stations. Other agencies assisting the FCC in this action included the U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Customs, the Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Coast Guard, the United States Attorney's Office, and local law enforcement officers.

The types of equipment seized ranged from homemade transmitting components to professionally manufactured equipment illegally imported from foreign countries. Both the homemade components, and the illegally imported equipment, which is not authorized for use in the United States, have the potential to cause serious interference problems to several types of licensed communications, including vital aviation and other public safety frequencies. The equipment seized includes two 2,000 watt transmitters.

The FCC's Compliance and Information Bureau is concentrating on closing down unlicensed radio stations in a nationwide effort. FCC Chairman William Kennard said, "The operation in Miami, Florida, was CIB's most successful, large-scale, enforcement action against unlicensed operators to date. This Commission has enforced and will continue vigorously to enforce the law against unlicensed broadcasters."

Operators of illegal, unlicensed broadcast stations may be subject to monetary penalties of up to $11,000 per violation, seizure by court order of all radio equipment involved in the operation, or court order enjoining the operator from operating an illegal station. Unlicensed operators could also be subject to criminal fines of up to $100,000 or imprisonment of up to one year, or both, for a first time offense.

\

FYI
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

Wow, 2,000 watts.
-empty-
ai5u
New registered user
New registered user

Post by ai5u »

Sir Nigel and RadioMan,

I am sure you have noted that the heavy busts on Non-Licensed stations here in the U.S., by the FCC, have involved mainly the state of Florida. FCC enforcement is at a "all time high" in this state. It has been debated here in the U.S. that the U.S. Customs, U.S. Marshals, Judges and local law enforcement in conjunction with the FCC Agents are working overtime to catch these stations. One might be very keen to the fact that this reason is because of the President's brother - Jeb Bush- as governer of the state of Florida? Only one can speculate and draw their own conclusions.