Static

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Nemonster
New registered user
New registered user

Static

Post by Nemonster »

I just received and installed my PCIMAX 2004. No problems getting it working, but...

There is a noticable and very irritating background static present. Also a low pitched rumble. It doesn't have anything to do with the broadcast signal, since it occurs without any music running. Based on some comments on the Electrokits board, I tried disabling the inputs, but it is still there. Manipulating the output level or switching between stereo and mono also have no effect.

I went ahead and applied the latest version of the software. I notice that there is a switch on the software console called RDS that is disabled, and does not seem to be documented anywhere either.

I'm a little concerned at this stage. Any suggestions here?
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

The RDS part of the software has no effect if you don't have the RDS Max.

About the noise, try removing some PCI cards. I found a firewire card I used had a really bad noise.

From what I understand is the new card eliminates problems with the power, but it can still get interference from other components inside the computer.
-empty-
Nemonster
New registered user
New registered user

Static

Post by Nemonster »

I can certainly try that, but my options may be somewhat limited there. The only wiggle room I have is the controller and usb cards. Figure that I need to keep the NIC and the sound card at a bare minimum, and I'm stuck after that.

Any prior experience anywhere on something that's more likely than not to cause this. Or is it just the close proximity of another card. I may try to move it off to an isolated machine if that might do me some good. But I like to scope out all the possible avenues/options and do it methodically rather than just keep trying things randomly.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Does this rumble also appear when you tune to the other end
of the spectrum, perhaps closer to 88 MHz?
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
Nemonster
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Nemonster »

I would like to try that, but unfortunately I do not seem to be getting any output at all from the card now. I have verified that it is not the audio output, and the card is broadcasting, since when I cut the power you can hear the change in the radio. But the inputs do not seem to be functioning, or at least what is coming in is not being output.

I haven't touched it since yesterday when it was working.

Any other ideas?
Nemonster
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Nemonster »

It seems that when you turn off stereo output it comes back on. I have tried several cables that work in other setups and it seems to happen consistently. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers to be on the safe side. Same thing.

What could have changed?
brett
New registered user
New registered user

Post by brett »

Hey

I had the exact same problem with a light buzzing sound coming across on air that was just plain annoying. I don't know how your pc is set-up so I don't know if this will sort it - but it fixed mine up.

The back pc fan's wires were causing a light buzzing - i moved the wires away from the card and it fixed it ;)

I hope that helps \:D/