Multiple PCI MAX cards in one PC - multizone audio

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

unclfuzzy
New registered user
New registered user

Multiple PCI MAX cards in one PC - multizone audio

Post by unclfuzzy »

I surfed around the forum and didn't see any discussion about this, but I apologize in advance if it's been beaten to death or if it's a stupid question.

While looking for a much cheaper alternative to multi-zone / multi-source whole house audio, I came upon the PCI MAX 2004 page. I was trying to find a way to achive this with decent audio quality and without having to wire up my whole house and/or buy very expensive and confusing components.

The ultimate solution would allow me to put as many cards in my PC as I have slots for, and have each one broadcasting a different playlist on a different frequency. This way, I could use as nice or cheap a radio as I like in any given part of the house, allowing everyone to listen to whatever music they prefer simultaneously. Add in distinct rf or infrared controls for each zone, a unified web interface, the ability for two playlists to inadvertantly open the same song at the same time, and I'd be in whole-house heaven.

As near as I can tell, there are two technological questions to answer or problems to overcome.

1. Can I put two (or three, or eight) FM transmitter cards in one PC, all using different frequencies?

2. Is there any software available, or is it even theoretically possible to write an MP3 player that can run multiple instances, each outputting on a different audio device (my cheap sound card has separate volume controls for Wave, CD Audio, Line In, Microphone, etc.) as recognized by the sound card?

Thanks much,
Fuzzy
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

This was possible with the old ISA cards, but not the new PCI cards.

It could probably be done technically, but the very limited number
of such users (you're first) makes it a huge efford for almost no gain.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128