hum

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

hum

Post by RadioMan »

I am experiencing a slight hum on my signal. I am using a regulated power supply at 13.5vdc. I tried using a 12vdc battery to trouble shoot and it is still there. I don't have a SWR metering device. Could this be the problem? (I didn't think so but a friend said it may be).
Any ideas
RM
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

No SWR doesn't seem to be it. I think it's something with the audio (not saying you have a poor audio feed). Perhaps a bad stereo encoder?

What broadcaster are you using?
-empty-
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

hum

Post by RadioMan »

I'm just using MAXII. No encoder for now. My audio in is from a Mackie 1202 mixer...pretty quiet. Have 2 mics, 2 CD player , 1 tape cassette-no hum after mixer. I also experimented with this OVERsized wall wart for power(I opened it up...slightly...and saw an IC "7815" diodes and caps so I assume it's not a wall wart but a regulated PS looking like a wart)...the hum was the same with it. I've tried grounding all componets including the devices that are input into the audio mixer.
Any help appreciated.
radioman
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

MAX PRO II?

RF signal might be getting into your mixer and power supply
and causing hum. How close is antenna to your audio gear?
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

hum

Post by RadioMan »

At the moment, antenna is close to x-mitter (MAX PRO II)...same room about 10 feet. I will try moving antenna to another room. Landlord will not allow me to run cvable & put stick on bldg. If I dissconnect all gear from unit the signal is clean. No noise at all. It could be induction so I will seperate things. A curious thing happened yesterday while playing with stuff. For the heck of it I connected the whip antenna from my police scanner(50ohm but only 6 inches long) to the unit, all placed inside my apartment about 15 feet above ground level, power set to full. I went out for a drive to check signal. In a W/NW direction it went about 1 mile. S/SE however was good for about 7 miles. I got scared and ran home to turn it off. I never thought I would get a directional signal wisth that little antenna?

Thanks for all your help
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

Thanks for the tip about seperating the antenna from the transmitter pcs. I'll have to try that.

RadioMan, what type of antenna are you using?
-empty-
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

hum

Post by RadioMan »

Antenna is a homemade J-Pole (is there any other kind?)

I fixed my hum. It was either RF induction on audio gear or some sort of ground loop. The fix was to put a transformer in-line with mixer-out to x-mitter-in. I got it at RadioShaq ($15.00) a few years ago when I was doing Video Production (to match my VCR's audio-in to BIG pro sound mixers at concerts. I would take a feed off the sound board and run it into my gear. Talk about Ground Loops!

New Question- I have tons and tons of RG-59 coax and not very much money. Is there a way to match the impedance of my 75ohm RG-59 and my 50ohm gear so I can run it a good distance (only 100-200 feet)????
rm
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

another new Q

Post by RadioMan »

When tuning my MAX Pro II, what is a good voltage to be read at the PWR point? I am getting 5Volt. Just curious.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

The more the better.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128