The Animal SPEAKS_rANT AND rAVE OLD FART

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Fleetinglimpse
Compulsive poster:)
Compulsive poster:)

The Animal SPEAKS_rANT AND rAVE OLD FART

Post by Fleetinglimpse »

"I think small portable tx'es like Marko's can revolutionize SW free radio the way kits did lpfm in the 90's. He needs support in this venture not criticism from guys living in a "dream world". When I first saw the "Grenade" in '96 I remember thinking,"This is going to blow radio piracy wide open". The Animal unfotunately wasn't able to make do and the opportunity passed. I'd hate to see that happen again.
Sorry for the bandwith. I'm a longwinded old fart.

Yup i fully agree with Marko's revolution,and BTW I have indeed told Marko about the prospect for the AM MAX....NOW A SNIPPET FROM YOUR RANT AND RAVE..."He needs support in this venture not criticism from guys living in a "dream world". .......Whom are you makeing such a reference to Sir?

Respects StormiNorm
R_QRP
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by R_QRP »

You are right! We are and will not making criticism to Marko. He is doing a good job with his products. We are also willing to support him in his efforts to supply us and others with a Grenade Clone. Just as you say small portable tx'es like Marko's can revolutionize SW free radio the way kits did lpfm in the 90's. There is an underestimated demand for this sort of rig.
73s de R_QRP
Pigmeat
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Pigmeat »

Why you of course Norm. :P Unless you expect me to believe those tales of Belize? How's that redheaded sister of yours?
Arrrrh!!!
R_QRP
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by R_QRP »

A shortwave signal can bounce off a layer of the atmosphere called the ionosphere and be audible hundreds or thousands of miles away from the transmitter. (Note: the term "shortwave" refers to the frequencies between 3 MHz and 30 MHz, including several frequency bands that are used for international broadcasting. With a shortwave radio, you can hear broadcasts in English and other languages from countries all over the world. It is necessary to explain this because only about 10 percent of households in the USA are equipped with shortwave receivers, and many Americans are not aware that international broadcasting exists.)

It is normal for a shortwave signal to skip over large areas: a shortwave station located in Florida might not be audible at all in Georgia or Alabama, while being heard loud and clear in New York and Ohio. When it comes to simple antennas such as the popular half-wave dipole, the antenna's height above electrical ground influences the angle of radiation, and the angle of radiation will influence where the signal is audible. This is a complex topic, and anyone interested in it should read The ARRL Antenna Book.

Power levels are an important factor in shortwave reception. People who have sensitive receivers and good antennas located in static-free rural areas can easily hear a 100-watt signal from a thousand miles away if atmospheric conditions are good. However, very few people have this kind of set-up. That's why many licensed shortwave stations use 100,000-watt transmitters and high-gain antenna systems. If you broadcast on shortwave with 100 watts or less, your audience will mainly consist of other shortwave pirates and a handful of hardcore shortwave hobbyists.

73s de R_QRP