Preferred Antenna

A number of polls on differents subjects, related to broadcasting and our products

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Favourite Antenna

Single Dipole
27%
Double stacked Dipole
11%
1/4 Wave
5%
5/8 Wave
14%
Yagi
5%
Slim Jim
38%

Total votes: 37

Titanium
Regular poster
Regular poster

Preferred Antenna

Post by Titanium »

I know this is subjective and subject to your environment but what is widely regarded as the most favourable antenna for LPFM use ?
marek
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by marek »

I think this depends on which area I wish to cover and where the site is. If the site is outside a city and you wish to cover the city a yagi could be preferable as well as 5/8 can be quite sufficient if you are within the area you wish to cover.
Marek
Titanium
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Titanium »

marek wrote:I think this depends on which area I wish to cover and where the site is. If the site is outside a city and you wish to cover the city a yagi could be preferable as well as 5/8 can be quite sufficient if you are within the area you wish to cover.
Marek

As i mention it is obviously subjective, when you mention "within the area you wish to cover" surely all aerials cover their immediate surrounds?
s
Yoda
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Yoda »

Personally I like the slim jim design. I have built a few different antennas (i'm not fantastic at it, but can follow guides and make calculations etc and if you can do it, it is far cheaper than purchasing one).

I have built a dipole, stacked dipole (this was a knightmare to tune and eventually I gave up and moved on...), 5/8 wave vertical (that snapped in the wind), a J-pole and finally I have built a slim jim variant that to be honest, rocks with a noticable distance improvement on signal. It is strong and sturdy, easy to mount and fairly easy to construct and tune. I have mine to about 1:1.1 VSWR which I think is excellent for a home made antenna.
Here is a pic of my antenna http://www.dreamtechnologies.co.uk/other/slim_jim.jpg
I have removed my e-mail address due to spam through this forum!!! please now use:
simon (at) dreamtechnologies (dot) co (dot) uk

May the force be with you.

http://www.radiorave.co.uk/
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

slim jim

Post by RadioMan »

i agree with the "slim jim". I tried a dipole, vertical, and "slim Jim". I was dissapointed tremendously with the vertical, same with the dipole. But the slim jim seems to work great! Distance is wonderful and the coverage is omni-directional. It is also very easy to make.
Black_Hawk
Compulsive poster:)
Compulsive poster:)
Location: Entering The Flags...but simply an arm wielding a sword signifying power

NOW HERE IS A GDAMN VERTICAL YOU ALL WISH YOU HAD

Post by Black_Hawk »

AND HERE IS THE KILLER VERTICAL MOUNT

Last edited by Black_Hawk on Mon May 31, 2004 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.