Some questions regarding PCS0205

Discuss antenna construction, problems, tuning, designs...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

gilush99
New registered user
New registered user

Some questions regarding PCS0205

Post by gilush99 »

So I have this antenna installed on the roof and connected to a 30W FM transmitter.
I lowered the output power because the antenna's specs. say max. 20W.
From the tests I made so far, the broadcast range is not impressive at all, so I have a few questions here :

1. Since the transmitter is far away from the roof and this cannot be changed which is better : Higher altitude for the antenna or shorter coax cable and a lower antenna ?
2. Which polarization is preferred ? horizontal or vertical and why ?
3. Is it possible to attach to this post the radiation pattern of this antenna ?
4. what could happen if I'll be using more than 20W of transmitter power ?
5. If I add some clear silicone over the bolts to protect it from rust (which is already showing here and there) will it damage the performance ?

Thank you,
Gil
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

>So I have this antenna installed on the roof and connected to a 30W FM transmitter.
>I lowered the output power because the antenna's specs. say max. 20W.

You can try with 30W. The antenna will handle it. It can also handle more.

>1. Since the transmitter is far away from the roof and this cannot be changed which is better : Higher altitude for the antenna or shorter coax cable and a lower antenna ?

If you have to make your cable long, use a good quality coaxial cable. At least H-2000 flex or similar. Every meter of additional altitude helps and can have dramatic influence upon range.

>2. Which polarization is preferred ? horizontal or vertical and why ?

Vertical, receivers typically have vertical antennas so most of the energy will be received this way

>3. Is it possible to attach to this post the radiation pattern of this antenna ?

This is very close to radiation pattern you'll see:

Note this is a directional antenna so you will see greatly improved range in the direction where the antenna is pointed. Your range in this direction will be about double of what you get with a single dipole (gain = 6dBd).

4. what could happen if I'll be using more than 20W of transmitter power ?
Nothing. Just be sure your transmitter can handle the SWR of the antenna which can be a bit over 2:1.

5. If I add some clear silicone over the bolts to protect it from rust (which is already showing here and there) will it damage the performance ?
It will possibly work, some of those contain acid and that can be a problem, it is best to use RF tested sealant such as this:
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/connecto ... -1415.html
Liquid Rubber Feed Point Sealant 30ml with brush

This antenna is a great value, but of course directional. And the SWR is not ideal which is the only reason why we don't recommend it for high power. It should handle 100W and more.

Sidenote: It is now out of production, once the stock sells out they will be gone. You can get yours here:
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/power-lo ... p-321.html
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
gilush99
New registered user
New registered user

Post by gilush99 »

Hello Marko
Thank you for your detailed reply.
It seems I have a lot of work to improve my broadcast range.

Best regards,
Gil