My CybermaxFM+ has short circuited

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

amateurradist
New registered user
New registered user

My CybermaxFM+ has short circuited

Post by amateurradist »

Hello PCS-electronics.

First of all, thank you very much for the great products you have here!

Some time ago I bought a CybermaxFM+ (15W) that used to run great. We made a mistake, however, and the transmitter was running constantly at a period of time. This meant that there was some kind of meltdown in the FM board. At first I replaced the fuse, but it just burned away instantly. I can smell this burny kinda smell from what looks like the final transistor. Then I thought; "hey, I can use this misfortune to my advantage, why not upgrade?".

So my question is this: in order to make this work, would I need to purchase the "upgrade to 40w output" only or also the "40W replacement output transistor" from this page?

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/cybermax ... p-216.html

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day (:
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

If this is a 15W unit you have to get a 15W output transistor. You can't simply replace 15W output transistor with 40W and expect to get 40W out of it. 40W unit has a completely different circuit board inside, not just a different transistor.

In order to upgrade to more power what you could do is order MAX PRO 5025 or MAXPRO5040 here:
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/maxpro-5 ... -1845.html

Note you will also need a stronger power supply to handle additional load.

Note: "Upgrade to 40W output" is available at the time of ordering a complete unit. This means that the 15W circuit board is taken out and replaced with 40W circuit board. So the upgrade price is the difference between 40W and 15W boards plus work. You can't order it afterwards as you'd have to send 15W board back etc.

Hope this clears things out.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
amateurradist
New registered user
New registered user

Post by amateurradist »

Hello Marko,

Thanks for your fast reply! At first I thought that "upgrade to 40w" was a seperate unit. I now understand that the one that you linked is the one I was looking for.

For now I think I will have to see if I can fix it. Unfortunately I don't know much about PCBs, but that will change. Otherwise I will get the funding and order the MAXPRO 5040+.

Thanks again for this great website. I love all the information that you have on here, it's just great :)
amateurradist
New registered user
New registered user

Post by amateurradist »

Oh, one more question. What would you believe to be the main point of failure for overheating? My guess would be the LDMOS since it has the heat sinks.

Thanks again :)