Transmitter Related, How to Prevent RF Final Death

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

sparcnz
New registered user
New registered user

Transmitter Related, How to Prevent RF Final Death

Post by sparcnz »

Marko,
Thanks for your recent help, and questions to the possible reason why my RF Final died.
I have been thinking about this, and I thought about using 1 or 2 filters in line with the transmitting signal.
I had these from a repeater being pulled down and I put them aside to be modified for a duplexer for one of my 2mtr repeaters. Have not had to use them so are still tuned for around 107Mhz, which is where our Radio is set for on 107.2Mhz.
So if I was to use them for band-pass filters, would this then help prevent the possibility of damage again. I do know a direct or very close hit won't stop it, but it might help? Even for heavy rain static?

Would be interested in your views, can't keep buying new boards too often.

Regards Kevin (ZL1KFM)
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Finals in these units die rarely, you probably had some bad luck.

When killed by storm, the voltage spikes come from two sources, mains power or antenna.
Antenna can be easily solved using DC shorted antennas, those antennas show zero ohms when you measure them with ohm meter. Example are for example all wideband dipoles on our website, such as this one:
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/wide-ban ... -1914.html

Any charge build-up that shows up on these antennas is immediately conducted to ground.

The second source can be cleaned with protection typically used for mains. This is as much as I can write here, for more check what amateurs do for their radio stations, google is your friend there.

Of course faulty antennas/coaxial cable or connections are another common cause. But as far as I know this wasn't the case for you.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
sparcnz
New registered user
New registered user

Post by sparcnz »

Thanks Marko.
Just now to wait for the new board to turn up.

Just another quick question while I might have your attention. I see you sell a Network card, can this be fitted to the setup I have, currently it only has USB and RS-232, the network feature would allow me to access remotely. Cheers.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Since this is a special case and you have an older unit these things are best discussed by email (they are of no value to others).
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128