CyberMax+ First Impressions + Questions.

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

sparcnz
New registered user
New registered user

CyberMax+ First Impressions + Questions.

Post by sparcnz »

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a new CyberMax+ FM Transmitter fitted with SE5000 DSP and RDS4000+.
After much searching throughout the net I decided on the purchase of this unit. There were plenty to choose from, more then I thought would be.

First impressions on opening the box was a nice 1U shiny metal box, actually a little surprised on the size. But they do say good things come in small packages.
Being a typical ham, and also finding a loose screw in the box (from the long trip) I was very pleased to see the high standard of PC boards and the cable layout. There is a great pride taken in the construction of the unit.
BTW, I did find where the loose screw came from, it had come from the LCD top mounting post, a 10sec fix.
Top back on and now to find the power supply and the Bird with dummy load.
I found that in my case with the unit set for 7.9W the Bird only gave me about 5W, also I found that when changing the power from the LCD, even with the bar-grapg still showing about 1/3 scale there was no RF power, full scale was about 20W. Only using 13.8V.
Not that this is a big issue, legal LPFM power here is only 1W, so I think I will be fine.

There is a set of stands just in front of the I/O card, what are these for? Is this an added feature?

One thing I found which I did not see when placing the order, I could of put my own welcome display on it. Would be nice to do this at some stage. But it's a long way to send it back just for that. :(

Q1. In my current radio studio I am using an external Compressor/Limiter. Am I correct in my understanding that I can remove this and use the SE5000 DSP to perform these tasks?
Q2. If in the future a software upgrade is released, is it possible to update?

I think that is about it. I am looking forward to many years of great and worry free performance.

Regards

Kevin.