Cybermax 15W + 300W Pallet FM Amplifier?

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

andressis2k
New registered user
New registered user

Cybermax 15W + 300W Pallet FM Amplifier?

Post by andressis2k »

Hello. Few months ago, I bought a 15W FM TX package - Comet antenna
I'm very satisfied with it. Now, the audience is growing up, and I want to jump to something bigger

I've seen the 300W (400W max) pallet FM amplifier.

What should I buy, in addition to the amplifier?

I broadcast in 88,9Mhz, and I get 9,5-10W from cybermax transmitter (with 0W reflected power :D)

Must I buy an attenuator? Or it's sufficient reducing the power?

I'll broadcast with 100-150W max (for the time being). Can Comet antena support it? What will happen if I apply 300W to it?

I've got a professional (electronic, stabilized) power supply, that gives me 48v@10A, so I will use it.

I've a metallic case with 2 fans (an old LAN switch), and I'll put the amplifier in it. Must I buy a heatskin for the amplifier? Or it's incluided with it?

I will solder a cable from cybermax PCB to the amplifier PCB input (1 meter). What cable must I use for that? Will be my cybermax's warranty void for soldering on it?

On the output, I will solder BNC connector from cybermax. It's right?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions and for my poor English
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Unless you have experience with these things I do not recommend buying a palet. If you can't afford a proper rack mounted unit with swr protection etc at least buy a module like any of these here:

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/amplifie ... 1_111.html
If you buy any of the boxed modules and ask nicely we will install attenuator inside for you.

Why is this a better idea? Palets are not for everyone, not even for people who have experience with electronics, but not with high power RF electronics.
A number of things can go wrong and mistakes can be expensive and will eat any savings you made versus the boxed unit.

Whichever you choose be sure to use a good fan. Your amplifiers lifetime depends primarily on the temperature of the finals. The hotter the sooner they will fail. Another thing you can do is drive them a bit below max rating. 350W box running at 250W will more likely survive high swr or other antenna/coax problems, especially if you also lower the supply voltage slightly from 48V down to say 40-42V.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128