Safe distance from antenna 500 Watts or 100 watts

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

headingsouth
New registered user
New registered user

Safe distance from antenna 500 Watts or 100 watts

Post by headingsouth »

I'm starting a radio station in Mexico. I have the PCI MAX with the 5 Watt booster and a 35 watt amp. I'm adding the Veronica 100 Watt amp and may add another Veronica amp raising the power output to 500 watts. How far is the safe distance from the antenna for these two powers? I don't want to microwave my technician.

Also, does anyone know the exact measurement for adjusting the Comet antenna to transmit on 101.5 FM?

Thanks,

todd
pcs
Site master
Site master

Put your antenna on your roof

Post by pcs »

I'd recommend putting your antenna as high as possible,
which means it will also be a safe distance away and above.

100MHz is not terribly dangerous, but I'd stay as far away as
practically possible, at least 5-10 meters or so.

There was a time when I stood next to a 11m 200W driven antenna
with a long neon light in my hand and it was lit :)

But don't try this at home!
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
soundfm
New registered user
New registered user

Post by soundfm »

Hi, so you are from Mexico, where or what city is your station?,
it would be nice sharing experiences
Saludos!
StormiNorm

Re: Safe distance from antenna 500 Watts or 100 watts

Post by StormiNorm »

headingsouth wrote:I'm starting a radio station in Mexico. I have the PCI MAX with the 5 Watt booster and a 35 watt amp. I'm adding the Veronica 100 Watt amp and may add another Veronica amp raising the power output to 500 watts. How far is the safe distance from the antenna for these two powers? I don't want to microwave my technician.

Also, does anyone know the exact measurement for adjusting the Comet antenna to transmit on 101.5 FM?

Thanks,

todd
Saludos,

May i add in addition to the other suggestions made that it always good to be observant of the roof traffic (AC repair.) etc. and if there is a continous flow of traffic then you may wanna post Cautionary notices..

As far as the Comet is concerned ,the potential does exists to get a attention getting RF "Skin Effect Shock...Which can give you a Mild RF burn scar on your hand etc.

By the way if one evers happens to experience what RF CURRENT AND vOLTAGE CAN CONTRIBUTE TO causeing burn discomfort,then my sympathies goes out to you...and a very good cure for any burn is ALOE...Cut pieces to expose the clear Gel formation and apply that side over the burn area and bandage loosely..Change periodically thru each 24/7 until the skin heals with very few scar tissues evident...Works...Been down that road before.

RF at even a 100 watts can be a bit of discomfort,if you happen to have direct skin contact with the Rf source..Barbecue smell..Burning flesh!