My "pirate" station

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

bob1
New registered user
New registered user

My "pirate" station

Post by bob1 »

Hi everyone. I am looking into starting my own station. My listeners are with 5 miles or so. My budget is less than 200 dollars. SH=hould I get an FM or AM tranmitter. Can it even be done? What do I need? Do I need an external antenna? Thanks-bob
djhubbalubba
Compulsive poster:)

Post by djhubbalubba »

Well, 200 dollars are little too low, for 5 miles range you need:
15 watt transmitter.
Antenna (outdoor)
Power supply
Coaxial cable ( 50 ohm)

Here are some examples of 15 transmitters:
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/cybermax ... p-216.html
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/3000-nex ... -1317.html

Maybe this is the package for you, here is all included, you are onair in minutes.
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/transmit ... p-291.html

This is the most basic.
You can expand with both stereo and RDS feature for each, if desired.

And this high-quality equipment.
bob1
New registered user
New registered user

Post by bob1 »

Oh, and i would need a mic i think, as it would be mostly talking.
So even with a good antena, would i not get a 5 mile range? And i think i could use directional one, as my audienece is mostly to the west of my house.
djhubbalubba

Post by djhubbalubba »

It depends on how high you have your antenna, and if you have other nearby channels to your frequency.

But 5 miles should be no problem with 15 watt transmitter, and a clear view to your listeners.
bob1
New registered user
New registered user

Post by bob1 »

Is that legal under part 15 though?
djhubbalubba

Post by djhubbalubba »

I doubt it, it will ann on which country you live.

But as long as you act nicely on the air and not destroy the other stations, there is often good.
bob1
New registered user
New registered user

Post by bob1 »

I live in the USA. SO If i don't play music without payign roaylties, act nicely, don't use profanity, and not interferre with otehr stations, I won't get in any trouble?
djhubbalubba

Post by djhubbalubba »

You need a license for broadcasting on the FM band

But I think it would be okay, if you do not disturb others.
bob1
New registered user
New registered user

Post by bob1 »

Oh, that brings up anotehr question. WHat are the pros and cons of Am and FM, what shood I use, and remebr, keep price consideration- Thanks- Bob
djhubbalubba

Post by djhubbalubba »

I think the most popular broadcasting metode is FM
bob1
New registered user
New registered user

Post by bob1 »

Yes, for professionals and "pirates" alike. I was surfing thru the frequecies on FM, and tehre was not a ignle gap of stations. Then I went through tyhe AM frequencies, and there was a lot of room for more stations.
rickv152
New registered user
New registered user

Post by rickv152 »

Hi Bob,

here's the problem; take it from a seasoned pirate (eons ago as a teen) who went "legal".

Some ideas:
FM pros: if you live out in the tulies, then 15 watts will do nicely with a good antenna; get a Radio Shack 5 element FM antenna and it'll boast your power in the direction you aim it about 4 times: 6dB. You could run a 4 watt transmitter and effectively get 16 watts.
FM will go further than AM if you are stronger than a distant station; I know there are NO local stations serving your area right next (adjacent) on the dial to each other; it's not permitted by FCC rules.
FM receivers will generally only hear the strongest station if you are on top of a distant station (over 100 miles); you can find out where they are by listening to their call sign and type it in the internet search.
Antenna height is the Most important in FM.
FM is mostly line of sight, to a point; it does bend a little.

AM pros:
very easy to build a transmitter or get one.
no fancy antenna needed; just string some wire (I found thinner the better coil wire worked super; was going 15 miles with 60 watts easy).

one fair warning: The FCC most likely "will" come and visit you; how long it'll take depends on where you live.
Part 15 is a very sketchy provision: I know. I used to stretch it to it's limits, but any unlicensed broadcast to listeners going further than quarter mile (FCC says 200 ft) will eventually bring you to their attention.
It's not a matter of "if" they come; it's "when".
Any transmitter power over 49 milliwatts using a builtin antenna (FCC does not allow added on ant.) will exceed the 250 Uvolts at 10 ft limit (3 meters).

bob1 wrote:Yes, for professionals and "pirates" alike. I was surfing thru the frequecies on FM, and tehre was not a ignle gap of stations. Then I went through tyhe AM frequencies, and there was a lot of room for more stations.
radioguy
New registered user
New registered user

Post by radioguy »

about the legal information.
just throwing this out. I dont no support any activites that may be questionable.... cough.

Legal Issue/ U.S. Cde of Federal Regulations title 47 section 73.3542

U.S. Code of Federal Regulations title 47 section 73.3542
Thanks to George Bush for declaring the "War Against Terrorism" and U.S. Code of Federal Regulations title 47 section 73.3542, it is now technically legal to operate a radio transmitter with out a formal license.

Take a look for you self:

§ 73.3542 Application for emergency authorization.

(a) Authority is granted, on a temporary basis, in extraordinary circumstances requiring

emergency operation to serve the public interest. such situations include: emergencies involving danger

to life and property; a national emergency proclaimed by the President or the Congress of the USA and;

the continuance of any war in which the United States is engaged, and where such action is necessary

for the national defense or security or otherwise in furtherance of the war effort.

(1) An informal application may be used. The FCC may grant such construction permits,

station licenses, modifications or renewals thereof, without the filing of a formal application.

(2) No authorization so granted shall continue to be effective beyond the period of the

emergency or war requiring it.

(3) Each inpidual request submitted under the provisions of this paragraph shall

contain, as a minimum requirement, the following information:

(i) Name and address of applicant.

(ii) Location of proposed installation or operation.

(iii) Official call letters of any valid station authorization already held by

applicant and the station location.

(iv) Type of service desired (not required for renewal or modification unless class

of station is to be modified).

(v) Frequency assignment, authorized transmitter power(s), authorized class(es)

of emission desired (not required for renewal; required for modification only to the extent such

information may be involved).

(vi) Equipment to be used, specifying the manufacturer and type or model number

(not required for renewal; required for modification only to the extent such information may be

involved).

(vii) Statements to the extent necessary for the FCC to determine whether or not

the granting of the desired authorization will be in accordance with the citizenship eligibility

requirements of section 310 of the Communications Act.

(viii) Statement of facts which, in the opinion of the applicant, constitute an

emergency to be found by the FCC for the purpose of this section. This statement must also include the

estimated duration of the emergency and if during an emergency or war declared by the President or

Congress, why such action, without formal application, is necessary for the national defense or security

or in furtherance of the war effort.

(b) Emergency operating authority issued under this section may be cancelled or modified by the

FCC without prior notice or right to hearing. See also § 73.1250, Broadcasting Emergency Information,

for situations in which emergency operation may be conducted without prior authorization,