Universal Power Supply Hookup? (Stupid Question Inside)

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Whole Wheat
New registered user
New registered user

Universal Power Supply Hookup? (Stupid Question Inside)

Post by Whole Wheat »

Not too long ago, I purchased a 150W FM Amplifier that came with a universal power supply. The contacts for power supply hookup look just like those in this PDF. It might be completely obvious, but can I just hook up the postitive and negative leads from any regular power cord connected to my wall outlet (or my APC uninterruptable power supply)? Any advice in hooking up this universal power supply and amplifier would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to evenutally make my own enclosure, the one pictured in this PDF.

Thanks for your help!
JohnNYC
New registered user
New registered user

Post by JohnNYC »

>It might be completely obvious, but can I just hook up the postitive and negative leads from any regular power cord >connected to my wall outlet (or my APC uninterruptable power supply)?

A power cord from a wall outlet does not have positive and negative leads - the output from a wall outlet is AC and does not have polarity. Your power supply will show + and - terminals. These are outputs. The input to your supply is AC from the wall outlet and it doesn't matter if these two wires are "reversed" but you do need to connect them to the proper terminals on the power supply.
Whole Wheat
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Whole Wheat »

Thanks for the advice! Can you recommend any best practices with regards to wiring? I am rather new to this type of electronic equipment, and am approaching the process with care.