PCI MAX driver trouble and a fix - work in progress

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

That's a procedure Chris, our distributer, worked out for older versions
of the driver.

I recommend that you download our latest driver off website (updated yesterday)
and install it and do nothing else (ignore any previous procedures).

Simply install the program and run it. You may need to change pci slot or not even that.

Marko
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
OblioV
New registered user
New registered user

More Symptoms

Post by OblioV »

Mark:

The good news is that I finally got the driver working (it works!!!). The bad news is that it takes some manipulation each time that I open the program. I'll explain:

I have a dual monitor system with the left-hand monitor working as the primary and the right-hand monitor working as extended desktop. Both are set to a display resolution of 1152 x 864. When I start the PCI Max program it appears in the tray as you described. But when I maximize it, it appears on-screen off the left side of the primary monitor. (Outside the normal display space.)

I can see it by taking my right-hand display and moving it temporarily to the left of the left-hand (primary) display. I then move the program window onto the desktop on the primary display, and move the secondary display back to the right of the primary display. From then it works perfectly until I shut it down. The next time I open it, I have to go through exactly the same gyrations.

I suspect that SteppedUp is having similar problems by his description. Could you look into this, please?
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Yep, but did you download latest version, move to tray should be a thing of the past.

M
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
PhilJSmith67
New registered user
New registered user

How I Fixed My Own "E159" Driver Issue

Post by PhilJSmith67 »

I began having the same problems with my PCI MAX 2006+ card, where no matter what I did, Windows would not wire up the software driver to the PCI card. Moving the card to another slot didn't work. For some reason, my card persistently had begun to report that it's vendor ID was "VEN_e159" instead of "VEN_e059" (which is what the Pcimax.inf installation file was looking for).

It took many hours of experimenting and rebooting to get this working. Here is what finally worked on my Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition machine.

- Removed the card

- Booted up

- Cleared out any registry entries for the card, based on the directions in the first post of this thread. I noted the actual VEN_ number showing up in the registry.

- Rebooted just to make sure all was well

- Edited the Pcimax.inf file with notepad, located under the Program Files directory after installing the software.

- In the [mfgsec] section, I changed the line that said...

Code: Select all

%Pcimax%=Pcimax, PCI\VEN_e059&DEV_0001
to...

Code: Select all

%Pcimax%=Pcimax, PCI\VEN_e159&DEV_0001
...which is the ID I saw in the registry.

- Shutdown

- Installed card

- Booted up

- After logging in, Windows 2003 Server automatically located the new hardware and successfully installed the driver

- The card STILL didn't work though!

- Rebooted; noticed during BIOS POST that one "Network Controller" card had "N/A" in the IRQ column (my Gigabyte motherboard very briefly flashes a list of hardware and IRQs while booting)

- Went into BIOS and selected "reset all values to defaults"

- Rebooted; the suspect "Network Controller" card now had IRQ 5

- The PCI Max software no longer threw a hardware exception, and was fully functional

- Rebooted again just for sanity. Thumbs up.

Windows 2003 Server has a lot in common with Windows XP. So, if you are on XP and Windows indicates no compatibility between the driver and the PCI Max card, these steps might work. Of course all the warnings from the first post (such as editing the registry) apply here, too. And, if your BIOS has a way to juggle/reset/reassign IRQs for PCI devices, I suggest using that option instead of the full reset, which could cause other hardware to "vanish" or become misconfigured. That would be bad if, let's say, your machine no longer could "see" your hard drive(s), especially if RAID is being used.