grounding

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

NEGZI
New registered user
New registered user

grounding

Post by NEGZI »

I have maxpro4, 300w BW amplifer and power supplyes in one metal enclosure. Can I connect together all grounds of all this parts? (There is little 50Hz buzz in the background of transmitted signal, can grounding all parts together help?)
One next questin: There is extra fan for cooling maxpro4, but turning it on incrases buzz in the background very much, can I connect paraely capacitor on the fan for disabling the noise? What capacity should I use? Its a common 12V fan from PC power supply.
pulsecork
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by pulsecork »

ok this is my opinion the humm is coused by feedback from Ayour audio equpmant or B your anttenna is not far enough from your transmitter or C the powersuply is not filterd ..
i had a problem with the fan in my transmitter it was also makeing a hum but weni disconected the audio scource it was gone .. try that and see wat happens.. :wink:

p.s yes you can ground the transmitter {all} to one common ground use no more than 8 ft of heavy copper shelding and if you can try to ground it to a copper pipe...
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

By the way, MAX PRO 3+ was developed specifically for this sort of applications.

It has a rather cool technical innovation that I haven't seen in any other
transmitter yet so it may very well be an invention by yours truly Marko from PCS.

What it does is effectively completely elliminates any feedback influence from output
stage to the VCO, which could produce some hum otherwise. The net effect is that it is
far easier to construct a transmitter even without special shielding between final stage
and the exciter.

BTW, regarding grounding, just take a plant pot and stick a wire into it :P
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128