Few questions before purchasing.

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

supra
New registered user
New registered user

Few questions before purchasing.

Post by supra »

I am looking to start a small "pirate" radio station in my town(U.s.A). We have about 60,000+ residents in about a 20 mile radius. There are 2 decent stations in my area but they do not play the music that the younger age group listens to in my area. I live in a college town and the music that is played is old 80's era music.

Question 1: Anyways..... I am looking to reach a 15 - 20 mile radius. What would be the best system to get. I have been looking at the 150W Cybermax System with the Dipole Antenna. Do you think this is overkill or not enough?

Question 2: Am I understanding this correctly that all I will need to run an FM radio station is the rack unit (FM transmitter) and the antenna....correct?

You don't need to go into detail because I understand the smaller things that are going to be needed such as a computer with DJ software, sound cord, mic, mixer, etc.... I am just not very familiar with the guts of the operation (Transmitter, amp, antenna, etc).

If I were to purchase this package, and I was able to put the antenna about 75 - 100 feet in the air (living on the second floor of my buddies apartments downtown... we have a large antenna pole allready setup) would I be able to reach the 15 - 20 mile radius? I live in a very flat area so if you are on like the 4th floor of a building you can see for a ways.

Please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks for the help.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

A professional station would probably have at least 1KW of power for this purpose.
But the big boys have the money and can afford to go after really solid coverage in all
spots of those 20 miles. Remember, some receivers are really poor or are located in
bad spots, and to reach those you need lots of power.

You probably aren't one of the big boys so I suggest the following:

1. 3/4 wave dominator antenna
2. 100-300W transmitter
3. Coaxial cable of sufficient length, if long take a better quality cable
4. SWR meter to tune antenna and check on your transmitter operation, if needed

The above should make you very happy.

Just a note, our rack mounted stronger Cyber max units (in 2H) have been upgraded,
there are now extra functions. New manual and pictures will be uploaded as soon as I get
some more time on my hands. November is a busy time. If you order now, you get the new
unit.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
supra
New registered user
New registered user

Post by supra »

Yes, I am a "small guy" when it comes to starting a station. I am not looking to spend $20,000 on equipment because I don't plan on getting an FCC license, and would hate to get $20,000 worth of equipment taken away. I am more or less just wanting to start it as an "underground" radio station that offers my age group with some decent music to listen to. I will more then likely also use it to promote local bands aswell as smaller business ventures I may get into.

I do have a few more questions.

1. With the new upgrades/functions will this cause a change in the price of the unit?

2. So you believe that in my situation the 3/4 wave dominator antenna would suffice better then the dipole antenna?

3. Could you point me in the right direction for the coax cable that YOU prefer?

Last question from this quote:
Protected with Temp and SWR protection. The best value for your money.
Does this not include the SWR meter in-which you're talking about? If not could you point me towards the correct one that I should purchase?

Thank you for your time and fast response.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

1. No
2. Yes
3. H-500 perhaps. How long will it be.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
supra
New registered user
New registered user

Post by supra »

75 feet give or take some.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

That is a lot, get H500 or better.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
supra
New registered user
New registered user

Post by supra »

Are repeaters going to be needed? What do most people use to run a antenna up on a high pole?