New set up? What should I use?

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

PhoenixBlade
New registered user
New registered user

New set up? What should I use?

Post by PhoenixBlade »

Hello there! Im very new to the whole broadcasting arena, having a small 32 listener internet radio station set up for my gaming clan. I use SAM3, and would like to have a setup to broadcast over a large radius in my small hometown here in Georgia.

I plan on setting up an antenna on a 30-40 foot tower I will be constructing, but I have no idea what hardware I will need (antenna etc) If I could get 5 - 10 miles of air, this would be great! Does anybody have any reccomendations or tips? Much appriciated! Thanks!

-[@]Maj. PhoenixBlade
Last edited by PhoenixBlade on Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/transmit ... p-291.html

One of these two models is what you're looking for.

This package is based on our CYBER MAX FM 15W rack mounted FM transmitter series for demanding broadcasters, operating in the whole band II, from 87.5 to 108 MHz. This is a small, but well built and reliable package, with high quality stereo transmitter, mains power supply and coaxial cable. This package can also be powered either from a car battery (13.8V-15V), which can save lifes in emergency. A perfect backup transmitter for a large radio station, small community radio, church radio or an exciter for a larger 500W, 1KW, 2KW or stronger FM amplifier. Also very suitable for portable or improvized installations and small radio stations in Africa and other remote installations, advertising (housing, shops), special occasions, drive-in cinema wireless sound distribution, translation, tourism.... .
Protected with Temp and SWR protection. The best value for your money.

ADVANTAGE
Excellent audio quality, enough power for covering a house and a fairly large property, especially when used with our Comet antenna.
Fully portable and can run from car battery or battery pack. Includes everything, even coaxial cable and antenna. Unit is small and can be placed next to your home stereo without spoiling the looks, on the contrary, LED VU meter and illuminated LCD display will even enhance the apperance of your stereo setup.

DISADVANTAGE
Hardly any

RANGE
It is never easy to predict range. You can expect from 1Km to 15Km. This depends a lot on terrain configuration, type and number of walls, exact location and type of antenna, and of course quality of receivers.

WHAT'S INCLUDED?
- Cyber Max FM 15W FM DSP stereo transmitter
- Mains power supply for the transmitter
- An antenna with coaxial cable and suitable connectors

Note: This package ships with two optional antennas:
- Model A: Comet antenna with 10m of Belden H155 coaxial cable and all connectors
- Model B: 3/4 wave dominator antenna with 10m of Belden H155 coaxial cable and all connectors

WHAT CAN I USE AS AUDIO SOURCE?
- Your PC. Just plug audio cable into your sound card.
- CD player, MP3 player or any other music reproduction system
- Mixing board with microphone and other audio gear

WHAT ELSE WILL YOU NEED AND IT WASN'T INCLUDED?
- Requires mains cable, which can be purchased in your country (each country has a different mains plug and we don't carry all).
This is standard cable used in your PC for example and its price is typically around 1 US$. You can get it in any electronics store, such as radio shack, circuit city, any computer store etc.

NOTE
It is a good idea to use PC as audio source and run some kind of audio scheduling software, such as Jazler, Raduga or winamp. Winamp plugins such as rocksteady exist and can make your sound even better.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
PhoenixBlade
New registered user
New registered user

Post by PhoenixBlade »

Alright! Thank you very much for the point in the right direction!

Do I use this is conjunction with the PCIMAX2006+ (350mW) ?

or does this pack have some sort of tuner included? I plan on using the built in tuner on SAM 3 broadcaster with this set up! Thanks!
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

This is a stand-alone setup, you connect it to your sound card.

With PCI MAX you'd have to get an extra amplifier, antennas etc
so the price would endup even higher.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
PhoenixBlade
New registered user
New registered user

Post by PhoenixBlade »

Really? Im wondering is it easy to tune with this package?

Forgive my noobness please - I really dont want to bother you, I just wish to be better informed.

Is there any direction you can point me to the legal implications of hosting a station from my house as well?
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

PhoenixBlade wrote:Really? Im wondering is it easy to tune with this package?
Its just as easy/complicated as the pci max card, probably even easier.
PhoenixBlade wrote: Forgive my noobness please - I really dont want to bother you, I just wish to be better informed.
No problem.
Is there any direction you can point me to the legal implications of hosting a station from my house as well?
You'll have to check local legislation for that one. Depends where you live and how much power you're going to use.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
PhoenixBlade
New registered user
New registered user

Post by PhoenixBlade »

Okay thank you so much for all your help! I will be looking into getting the package you mentioned as soon as I get more information on local laws :D