HIDING FROM THE AUTHORITIES

Discuss computer software and hardware with other users...(SW limiters, audio processors etc)

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

SheekLouch
New registered user
New registered user

HIDING FROM THE AUTHORITIES

Post by SheekLouch »

Lets just "say" i was operating a FM radio station and lets also "say" I didnt want anyone to know where the signal was coming from. What is the probability that i would get caught or the signal would get traced back to me. Would a compresser/limiter increase my chances of not getting caught. This is just a theoretical statement but i am curious to find out a answer.

sheek
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Keeping your signal clean and compliant with standards
will help. Make sure you are not overmodulating and
causing interference. Also make sure you are not radiating
any harmonics (RFI to TV stations or other services).

Another thing is keeping your language clean and entire
programming professional.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
SheekLouch
New registered user
New registered user

thanks

Post by SheekLouch »

thanks for the reply!

but i do "plan" on broadcasting edit free music late at night.

if i do, hopefuly "they" wont catch me. i plan to purchase a 150w fm kit with attenna and swr meter and that limiter adapter. hopefully that will keep my signal clean. i dont think there are any tv stations near by, i dont know if that makes a difference or not. i plan to probably mountit on top my house. we will see how far the signal reaches......

any other replies would be appreciated
cafr
New registered user
New registered user

Post by cafr »

I was reading around the forum today and read some about radio linking.

This seems very interesting and perhaps something people should look into more often. What it is, from how I understand it, is a transmitter box that is at your studio connected to your mixer. outside you'd have an antenna and depending on where your transmitter is, it should be around 30(?) feet. at your transmitter site, the rx end of the radio link is connected to the antenna and the FM transmitter. I hear the radio links in the GHz are kinda bad because they are very directional and limited by distance. the 900MHz system is pretty nice and not limited too much by distance. Unknown to me, this is how radio stations broadcast as well as news stations. they have a 20 to 40 watt transmitter transmitting the signal to their 100,000watt transmitter and this is pretty old technology.

radio linking isn't exactly on my budget since I have not one any free money, just yet but it is nice to dream...about radio linking.

<advertising competing products not allowed>

I found this out today but I don't know if it is true but I don't have any reason to doubt it. Clear Channel radio stations just play wav files of the music on the radio. If this is so, why are rackmount CD players still so expensive. Why not just rip the music to wave or aiff quality and play from that connected to a computer.
"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session."

–Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

The thing to remember is that in most any case, the authorities only take action because of a complaint. So the idea is not to do anything that would provoke listeners to report you. Follow the rules the big boys play by (clean signal and content) and you should be fine.
-empty-
L8
New registered user
New registered user

Post by L8 »

I am not quite sure what linking had to do with this thread, but... Linking is done on various bands. Each band has different properties and point to point linking is usually done up in the GHz range for various reasons.

As for hiding from the authorities...

If you have a transmitter, you can be located. There are various techniques to find a transmitter and you don't have to be transmitting for very long to be pin-pointed.

As Sir Nigel mentions, the authorities generally won't take action until there is a complaint.

Keeping it "clean" from both a standards or language perspective may only limit complaints. It is possible that someone out there will also work out that there is a transmitter without a licence and make a complaint.

Cheers,
L8
Xtreme Radio
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Xtreme Radio »

Well for the person who had the question about the Clear Channel stations, i had an opportunity to visit about 5 stations here in connecticut that opearte all from the same building. It is so crazy how they have stuff working there. I also check out there servers and how they broadcast to the net from there website. Also for you answer Clear Channel has a main server which any clear channel station connects to and they can choose from any song they want. They have a huge database of mp3 or wave files im not sure but its huge and with this software u can acsess all the music as well as operate a clear channel station from texas while your in ct. This is how the stations in New Orleans stayed on air well the ones who still had their towers up. They would go to another clear channel station and acess there stuff like they would if they were in there studios. Now i wasnt supposed to tell anyone but i just wanted to help you guys out.
Ultra Hits Radio
www.ultrahitsradio.com
project_fm
New registered user
New registered user

Post by project_fm »

What you need is to distance yourself from your transmittion equipment via microwave link!!! you can also have a mix of band 1 and microwave which is hard to set up but worth it if you dont wanna end up loseing all your equipment!!!!! If you want moro info on micro links pm me or contact me on Yahoo msngr Buzz_fm106

Cheerz

Davie
Medus
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Medus »

I am not quite sure what linking had to do with this thread, but...
The relationship between linking over an STL and 'privacy' is hardly difficult to understand. When remote linking your antenna and TX can be on a rooftop a few miles away... whilst your TX can be located quite simply, the link 'can' be rather difficult to locate.

See PFM's post:
project_fm wrote:What you need is to distance yourself from your transmittion equipment via microwave link!!! you can also have a mix of band 1 and microwave which is hard to set up but worth it if you dont wanna end up loseing all your equipment!!!!!
Absolutely. Forget standard transmitters for your site to transmitter link... you NEED a good directional horn and a microwave setup. The reason is simple, it is difficult to trace a signal with a very narrow cone.

If you expect to lose equipment (and you WILL if you use rooftop placement) the best thing you can do is build your own gear as cheaply as practicable. Try to get in with a pirate crew in your area - this will get you access to rig builders, a deployment team and useful things like firebrigade keys (For getting onto various rooftops and into the elevator rooms where the power is)

After a few months running with a pirate crew you will have a much better idea about placement, equipment and have built up some freinds you can call on to put together your cheap transmitters. You will also have an idea of the FCC/RA activity in your area and the general mood they're in.

I'd suggest getting as much information, experience and resources as possible before you try to go it alone.

Good luck.