low quality output

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

rcmarotz
New registered user
New registered user

low quality output

Post by rcmarotz »

I've had a PCI MAX 2005 working for a year now without any problems. I use the PCI MAX to broadcast around my house and yard. I just put together a new computer and moved the PCI MAX over to the new system. Using the 2004 drivers I can *mostly* control the card but the sound quality is pretty bad at the receivers. I say *mostly* control because while I can change the frequency, there seems to be more leakage into the adjacent frequencies than with the old system. Also when I turn off the power on the software, the card continues to broadcast. And the software power slider does not appear to change the range or quality. One of the things I was thinking of is that my new motherboard uses a smaller power supply than the old system (new system has 350W). I was thinking about connecting an external power supply to the PCI MAX to see if that would solve my problem. I know in the past Marko has said to stay away from the wall-wort style power supplies from Radio Shack. Where can I find a power supply at a reasonable price (in the US)? I understand that I need a 12-13DC power, but how many amps do I need? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help!
-Ryan
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

Someone posted a very informative website link here that had power supplies for a very cheap price. Anyone remember it?

I've purchased from parts-express.com but they were not the cheapest.
-empty-
pcs
Site master
Site master

Re: low quality output

Post by pcs »

rcmarotz wrote:I've had a PCI MAX 2005 working for a year now without any problems. I use the PCI MAX to broadcast around my house and yard. I just put together a new computer and moved the PCI MAX over to the new system. Using the 2004 drivers I can *mostly* control the card but the sound quality is pretty bad at the receivers. I say *mostly* control because while I can change the frequency, there seems to be more leakage into the adjacent frequencies than with the old system. Also when I turn off the power on the software, the card continues to broadcast. And the software power slider does not appear to change the range or quality. One of the things I was thinking of is that my new motherboard uses a smaller power supply than the old system (new system has 350W). I was thinking about connecting an external power supply to the PCI MAX to see if that would solve my problem. I know in the past Marko has said to stay away from the wall-wort style power supplies from Radio Shack. Where can I find a power supply at a reasonable price (in the US)? I understand that I need a 12-13DC power, but how many amps do I need? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help!
-Ryan
What you need is a 12-15V stabilized DC, 1A power supply.

I'll say 1A because it will usually mean that it performs as a stabilized supply for actual power draw, which would be about 100mA, even if it isn't actually stabilized.

It may be time to upgrade, the difference in audio quality and output power is well worth it.
As a owner of the 2005 card you're eligible for a rebate. Contact me via email for exact amount :)
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128