MaxPro I based portable unit

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

cliffyk
Regular poster
Regular poster

MaxPro I based portable unit

Post by cliffyk »

I purchased a MaxPro I and SE3+ a month or so ago with the intention of putting together a "station-in-a-bag" portable studio/transmitter, got it done today. Thought some of you might be interested ion seeing the final product...

Here's a photo of the whole rig;

(I'm using a Behringer UB802 mixer, an MXL 990 microphone, and a real cheap [$30 "reconditioned" from eBay] RCA 5-disc CD player)

Here's a closeup of the rack bag (that's a Behringer MDX-1400 compressor/limiter and the MaxPro and SE3+ in a custom enclosure);

and, a look inside the transmitter enclosure...

I am very pleased with the MaxPro I/SE3+ combination; I did have to modifiy the SE3 to provide 4V output (as suggested in the manual) to get 100% modulation while keeping the 19KHz pilot tome around 7KHz deviation (actually I have to run the pilot a bit hot (10KHz deviation) to get the SE3+ to drive the exciter to 100% without excessive audio clipping in the encoder).

However, the final result sounds GREAT, I can get a solid 2-3 mile range (with full quieting in stereo) with 15V into the MaxPro and a slim-jim hanging in a tree 20' or so off the ground. I'm sure I'd get 6-7 miles easy with a Comet on a 50' mast. Next thing to do is make up some twin-lead slim-jims in a variety of wavelengths--stuff those and a throwing rope in the bag and I'll be set to travel.

The whole thing draws less than 2A at 120VAC, a small inverter and a deep cycle battery will run it for 8 hours easily, although mains power is available almost everywhere in one way or another.

I LIKE IT!!!

(Have Modulation - Will Travel)
-cliff knight-
My Miata
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

=D>

Kudos to you, superbly done!
This is a really sweet and good looking setup!
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
cliffyk
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by cliffyk »

I could not have done it without your producing the MaxPro and SE3--both excellent products, reasonably priced.

I'm going to play with this for a while then sell it to a local LPFM license holder or on eBay--my next version will use the MaxPro III and Digi-log...
-cliff knight-
My Miata
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

I think its better to hold on a bit for
MAX PRO 4+, which will be a MAX PRO I on
steroids and will be available in KIT form as well.

And perhaps SE4+, an improved version of
SE4. They'll be controllable via same LCD
module for easy integration.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128