PCI Max Stereo/Mono Issue etc

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

sumrzz
New registered user
New registered user

PCI Max Stereo/Mono Issue etc

Post by sumrzz »

Hey everyone. Two things with question and feedback

I got my PCI MAX 2005 about a month ago and it's great. Although the high end was splattering so I kicked the total modulation down and it appeared to solve the issue however the station sounds weak compared to other stations. Any ideas on increasing the level of modulation without splattering the high ends?

Plus, I've noticed that older radio's take the stereo just fine off the transmitter, however fairly new car radios (up to 5 years ago) have some new technology that will kill the stereo signal on the receiver and make it mono. Do you have the same issue with your PCI Max? Would a slight increase in power solve the issue?

Just a note on my setup, I'm using Sam2 Broadcast Software,
broadcasting with the PCI MAX 2005 and I built a FM Transmitter Antenna from a kit and it works great. My reception is about a half of mile and works terrific. I don't want to push the limits on the distance but I sure would like the sound to be cleaner and to have stereo in newer vehicles.
Any ideas?

Thanks for a great forum.

ss
THE MIC IS HOT!
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

There's a multi-band compressor/limiter to process the audio called MBL4. It's pretty decent at letting you increase the perceived volume without increasing the amount you have to modulate. You might want to take a look at it.
-empty-
kioni
New registered user
New registered user

Re: PCI Max Stereo/Mono Issue etc

Post by kioni »

sumrzz wrote:Hey everyone. Two things with question and feedback
Any ideas on increasing the level of modulation without splattering the high ends? ss
SS, I had the same problem with the highs distorting on some of my tracks. I use SAM 3, but do not run the compressors and AGC that come with SAM 3. Instead I am using the Behringer Ultramizer Pro DSP 1400P and it does a fine job producing the FM punch and managing the highs. You can also experiement with the Tomass Limiter. Try it on each deck you use but not in the final output of SAM's Audio Pipeline.

Happy Broadcasting!
Dr. K