Best Webcast Service Providers

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

CaLLe
New registered user
New registered user

Best Webcast Service Providers

Post by CaLLe »

Hi,

Before I buy the xmitter gear, I want to go ahead and start the station online.

Can I get everyone's opinion as to who is the best web radio service provider / host?

Thanx.

DoN CaLLe
anon
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by anon »

www.indymedia.org seems to be a popular streaming service provider for community radio, LPFM, and pirates. I think they charge little or nothing for the service too. I have no personal experience with them though.

www.live365.com also seems to be a popular one with a more commercial slant but again, I haven't used it myself.

I'd be really interested to learn how you end up running you stream since it's something I haven't done yet but would like to do. Out of curiosity, does anyone on this message board pay music licensing fees either for their radio broadcast or their internet stream? Is it even necessary to pay a license fee to stream commercial music that you own the CDs or mp3s to? Just curious...
CaLLe
New registered user
New registered user

WebCasting

Post by CaLLe »

I've been doing lots of research and have found that you basically have two options:

a) Pay by usage of bytes transferred (Depends on amount of users who log on, how long they listen to your webcast and at what quality.)

b) Pay a flat monthly fee by limiting the amount of listeners at any one time as well as the maximum bitrate quality of your stream (8k, 32k, 64k, 128k, etc.)

These are considering you are streaming 24/7.

You can also upload canned material to their server for "on demand" listening. This is not a bad option as it is cheaper and you can have live stream "windows" in which you can cut in for a live show.

Personally I want to get the 24/7 service so I can cut in whenever I want. :D

As far copyrighted material, yes you are supposed to pay licensing fees to the respective licensing entities.

The four US associations:
www.riaa.com (Recording Industry Association of America)
www.soundexchange.com
www.bmi.com (Broadcast Music, Inc.)
www.ascap.com (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers)

And also:
www.sesac.com (Society of European Stage Authors and Composers)

So far these are the service providers I have found:

www.live365.com
I had checked this one out as one of my friends used to stream on it. With it's popularity, as you (Anon) had mentioned, it has gotten very commercialized. They offer a Pro Package with royalty fees included for all the aforementioned licensing entities. If you opt for a Pro Package without the Royalty Fees included, they make you sign an affidavit and show proof of licensing. Their "beginner" packages are affordable but I believe they are all limited to uploads only, no live streaming (correct me if I'm wrong.)

www.surfernetwork.com
"Start webcasting for only $150 a month" Found this site a little unstructurized. Their packages are a little "loose." I like to know exactly what I'm getting for my $$$

www.audiovideoweb.com
More affordable for live webcasting. Very user friendly, straightforward and informative webpage.

www.audiorealm.com
Very extended webcasting community and so far the most economic. They offer a free "upload" account and very cheap streaming.

All these I believe offer free encoding software as well as listener stats and such. AudioRealm offers their "SAM" automation program.
k107fm
New registered user
New registered user

the best by far

Post by k107fm »

www.streamsolutions.co.uk

been using them a while, great support and up time!
BrianC
New registered user
New registered user

Post by BrianC »

i been using http://magicshosting.net for years now and no problems
great uptime and price too check it out
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Your email suggests you may be affiliated with them?
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
BrianC
New registered user
New registered user

Post by BrianC »

well i guess i am "affiliated" now cuz i am in there reseller program but many moons ago i wasnt..

is that bad? if so i am sorry
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Its not bad, but means your recommendation is to be taken with
a grain of salt :)
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
BrianC
New registered user
New registered user

Post by BrianC »

LOL, but doesnt it count that i am using them for my hosting needs and they are that good
that i am affiliated with them?

i wouldnt suggested a service that was crappy to my friends or family..or anyone
i know how much people websites means to them and being able to reach them..

here i will be my money where my mouth is

if u sign up and not happy with the uptime i will pay for it :-p