PCIMAX2007+ (500mW) weak signal

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

skochjar
New registered user
New registered user

PCIMAX2007+ (500mW) weak signal

Post by skochjar »

Good day. I received my PCIMAX2007+ (500mW) a few days ago. I received everything fine, all parts included. My question is, using the provided antenna and NOT using any other power supply other that what the computer delivers, how far should this card transmitt. I am asking because it seems to have a very weak signal. The room where system is setup is less then 60feet from living room and has a direct veiw of my stereo receiver. Antenna is not blocked by anything and I can not get a good stereo connection,for listening pleasure(stereo light will only ficker at times). I tested its range on a friends car radio, we would pick up a good signal(fading in and out) about a block and a half to two blocks away. I thought that was good considering the small antenna that came with the card and the fact that antenna is indoors. However, the signal strength would constantly change from good to very poor. I am just asking you these questions now so we can determine early on if infact the card may be defective. Also for me to get good stereo reception on my living room radio I have to add cable to provided antenna bringing it closer to the receiver, I would say about 30 feet away as high as possible and then stereo signal light and sound would be very good. Is there a better and more full proof way I can check to be sure card is not defective? I tried using a SWR meter that is intended for setting SWRs on a CB antenna and needle never even moved. I know this card is only putting out half a watt at best and I have no external power hooked up but, is it performing up to standerds? Please help.. I do plan on getting the 15W booster in the near future but would like to know the card is functioning the way it should.

Thank you very much
Stephen
Dreammachine-Radio
Regular poster
Regular poster

PCI

Post by Dreammachine-Radio »

Hello,

A normal operating PCI slot delivers 3.3 volts, or 5 volts are supplied by the host chassis, when the PCI MAX is adviced to use the external power supp, So you need a external 12-15V stabilized power supply to obtain full output power.

You can imagine what the output power and the related RF output signal will be when using the default PCI slot power

My advice is to use/order the External mains power supply on the PCS site. :wink: