Need help with the Signal Path?

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

cloud9
New registered user
New registered user

Need help with the Signal Path?

Post by cloud9 »

I am considering buying a Cyber Max LCD RDS w/SE4 DSP Stereo Processor and a Comet Antenna. I am having trouble understanding the signal path after the transmitter. I will be coming from a mixing board to the tramsmitter then from transmitter out to ??? Direct to the antenna? or...
1. Do I need a filter of some sort?
2. Do I need a compressor/limiter?
3. Is EQ equipment before or after 1. and 2.?
4. I would like to keep the transmitter in the same room as the rest of my equipment, how can I shield the transmitter with out smothering it?
5. If my transmitter is say in the basement and the antenna on the roof is it ok to make this the long cable run? or should the transmitter be say in the attic close to the antenna and make the log cable run from the mixing board to the transmitter?
6. If I were to buy a "complete setup" can it be tuned before shipment? does it cost extra? If not is there a step by step tuning method?
7. Is there some place I can buy a dummy load?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
cloud9
DANK_NUGGETZ420
New registered user
New registered user

Post by DANK_NUGGETZ420 »

you definetly should get a compressor/limiter. the signal path after the transmitter can either go into an antenna or through an amp and filter. as long as its 50 ohms and rated for your power output. you should only need a filter if you get an amp, but like they say, overkill isnt always bad. you'd probably be WAY cleaner than commercial stations with the internal and external RF filters if you use nothing more than the 7 watt exiter
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

DANK_NUGGETZ420 wrote:you definetly should get a compressor/limiter. the signal path after the transmitter can either go into an antenna or through an amp and filter. as long as its 50 ohms and rated for your power output. you should only need a filter if you get an amp, but like they say, overkill isnt always bad. you'd probably be WAY cleaner than commercial stations with the internal and external RF filters if you use nothing more than the 7 watt exiter
SE4 contains low pass audio filters and compressor/limiter
so you do not need these.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128