ON/OFF switch for DECT antenna

Discuss antenna construction, problems, tuning, designs...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

viddy
New registered user
New registered user

ON/OFF switch for DECT antenna

Post by viddy »

Greetings to the members of the forum.

I am looking into a rather off-beat mini project which aims to introduce an ON/OFF switch to the connection of my phone's DECT antenna.

The phone uses 2 of these antennas to transmit a wireless speech signal to individual registered handsets/headsets. I want to be able to switch off this wireless signal (from both antennas simultaneously) as I see fit (preferably with a timer function, even though that is pushing things a bit).

So, I opened up the telephone and looked inside at what is happening near the antennas. Near the bottom of each of these antennas, there is a very thin, almost transparent coaxial cable that is soldered onto the board, one connection for the conductor and one for the screen.

Eventually, I thought of desoldering the conductor side of these cables, passing the conductors through a DPST switch (i.e. an ON/OFF switch that opens/closes two lines simultaneously, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpst) and then, using some extra cable resoldering the conductor out of the switch onto the board.

This way, by toggling the switch from ON to OFF, I will be able to cut out the conductor side of the cable and thus stopping the wireless signal (and vice versa, of course).

As my knowledge on this type of circuitry is rather limited, can someone validate or provide some feedback as to whether this will work?