upgrading my system

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

radio junky
New registered user
New registered user

upgrading my system

Post by radio junky »

I would like to increase the output power of my 25 watt transmitter. In order to increase the internal amplifier wattage wouldn't i just install an attenuator with the bigger amp and keep the RF power below the max range of the attenuator?

Although new to radio i can build computers so i am technical inclined. So if i am on the wrong path some one please give me some details as to how i can do this. Buying an 300 watt external amp is simply overkill for what i am trying to do. If i can just upgrade my internal to around 80 to 100 watts i would be fine.

Thanks, Radio Junky
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

I always recommend a small 1-3dB atenuator, but you should also reduce power of your exciter to about 5W depending on pallet that you are using.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
radio junky
New registered user
New registered user

Post by radio junky »

I would be reducing the exciter power from my lcd screen via the RF power right? If you can point me in the direction of a few amp choices i can order the best suited one along with the attenuator today.

Thanks,

Radio Junky
stylzmovement
Compulsive poster:)
Compulsive poster:)

Re: upgrading my system

Post by stylzmovement »

radio junky wrote:I would like to increase the output power of my 25 watt transmitter. In order to increase the internal amplifier wattage wouldn't i just install an attenuator with the bigger amp and keep the RF power below the max range of the attenuator?

Although new to radio i can build computers so i am technical inclined. So if i am on the wrong path some one please give me some details as to how i can do this. Buying an 300 watt external amp is simply overkill for what i am trying to do. If i can just upgrade my internal to around 80 to 100 watts i would be fine.

Thanks, Radio Junky
what is the size of the current enclosure?
do you have room to add more power , with more power you will also need to add a heat-sink and a larger power supply also a low pass filter.
A simple solution is to purchase the PCS 150 watts transmitter http://www.pcs-electronics.com/150w-di ... .html[url]