Leaky Coax Question?

Discuss antenna construction, problems, tuning, designs...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

somedude99
New registered user
New registered user

Leaky Coax Question?

Post by somedude99 »

hello, I have a 25 watt am transmitter and I was wondering on how I could make a rather simple yet effective attenna. I don't have the luxury of barring ground radials etc so I did some reading online and found out that building a leaky coax is as simple as cutting lenght of 50 ohm coax and adding connectors but reversing center with ground so that the coax shield becomes the radiator and then as simple as a 50 ohm dummy load at the end of that and dirrectly into the transmitter no antenna tuner or coils or anything complicated like that.

So I was wondering if that was really the case. And if this works will it get comparable range as a 100mw with the 10 foot vertical setups? Like at 25 watts will I get more then a few meters of range from the cable. If i swing the cable in bewteen the house and trees will it sorta act like a wire dipole? Any infos or hints would be great thanks!
5r

Post by 5r »

hi,
maybe its cheaper to buy an antenna;)
they arent so expensive.
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/antennas-c-38.html
regards,

Peter
PCS team
somedude99
New registered user
New registered user

Post by somedude99 »

hmmm good idea. Maybe this one would work it looks portable, can handle 10 watts no ground radials needed cause its a megnetic loop. Would this antenna work. With 10 watts of power on a roof? would it get usable range? at lease 1 mile? It looks interesting to me. Cause if the Part-15 FCC am guys can get about 1 mile with real good antennas at such low power then 10 watts into this antenna should do something or would the antenna kinda act just like a dummy load with only 10s of feet of range? I read magnetic loops work but I never tried it.
here is the link.

http://www.antennas.us/store/p/327-LL-1 ... tenna.html

If any one has any comments on this please post :)