PCI-M: Very first broadcast on its lowest power, impressive!

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Denizzje
New registered user
New registered user

PCI-M: Very first broadcast on its lowest power, impressive!

Post by Denizzje »

Despite that I did not get the included small antenna, I did some some testing with the big GP antenna right next to me on its lowest power and the PCI Max on PCI Power!!!. And I was very impressed with the sound quality! I gone to a room seperated by two thick concrete walls, and the signal came through without a single noise on my average quality portable radio (€40-50 class). I wonder how much mW the PCI Max broadcasts while on PCI Power on its lowest setting.

About the GP Antenna. It had a paper with it that you must not stand next to it when it is transmitting. While I understand that 1000W of radiation next to you is not very good for your health, but can 2W do any harm if it standing next to me? (It is not supposed to stand next to me, I am going to place it somewhere else when I can do that, but still).

Well, I hope what wonders this antenna can do with the PCI Max on full power (2W). I hope my school can be reached (1km away from here) :P. I have a clear view of my enviornment when it is going to stand on the place where it should be. I am on top of the tallest building here (15 meter). note to self: be careful with that in this country....
Dreammachine-Radio
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Dreammachine-Radio »

See topic here your previous questions where answered: http://www.pcs-electronics.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=2211
klaas
New registered user
New registered user

Post by klaas »

cool
Denizzje
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Denizzje »

Dreammachine-Radio wrote:See topic here your previous questions where answered: http://www.pcs-electronics.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=2211
Well the last one wasn't really a question anymore ;). I am just really positive about this antenna, it is much smaller than I thought and its just very good. As I said I do not expect 10s of kilometers, but just HOPING that I will make it to my school 1 km away ;).

I am still curious about the radiation @ 2watt though. That piece of paper made me a bit afraid of the antenna hehehe ;).
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Well, your GSM is a couple watts and you hold it next to your ear.

The frequencies your cell phone uses are more harmfull than 100MHz.

So you don't need to worry about 2W at 100MHz, still don't exactly
hold antenna in your hand.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
gfg
New registered user
New registered user

Re: PCI-M: Very first broadcast on its lowest power, impressive!

Post by gfg »

Denizzje wrote:Despite that I did not get the included small antenna, I did some some testing with the big GP antenna right next to me on its lowest power and the PCI Max on PCI Power!!!. And I was very impressed with the sound quality! I gone to a room seperated by two thick concrete walls, and the signal came through without a single noise on my average quality portable radio (€40-50 class). I wonder how much mW the PCI Max broadcasts while on PCI Power on its lowest setting.

About the GP Antenna. It had a paper with it that you must not stand next to it when it is transmitting. While I understand that 1000W of radiation next to you is not very good for your health, but can 2W do any harm if it standing next to me? (It is not supposed to stand next to me, I am going to place it somewhere else when I can do that, but still).

Well, I hope what wonders this antenna can do with the PCI Max on full power (2W). I hope my school can be reached (1km away from here) :P. I have a clear view of my enviornment when it is going to stand on the place where it should be. I am on top of the tallest building here (15 meter). note to self: be careful with that in this country....
The maths check out:

1) Your TX power 2W is 33 dBm, plus I'm giving you a 3dB net TX gain (antenna gain subtract cables etc) giving a total output of 36 dBm ;
2) Free space path loss of 100 Mhz @ 1Km = 73 dB ;
3) I am assuming the receiving setup (portable receiver?) has no antenna gain or even a negative gain :( ... RX signal at receive all things being equal is -37 dBm or 70 dBuV (that's massive) ;

Notes to consider:

1) Get your TX antenna as high as possible, a good rule of thumb is everything between your TX & RX will attenuate the signal to some degree ;
2) Consider the use of a directional antenna to focus your signal towards the school ;
3) Walls and the like can be huge attenuators (up to 20 dB!), indoor antennas while possible, are best avoided ;
4) Look at the 2m ham radio band for small and unobtrusive antenna ideas, though remember if you go this path, at a minimum buy a VSWR meter and test using low power first.

GFG