Power Input from Car for FM transmitter + Antenna

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

endgame
New registered user
New registered user

Power Input from Car for FM transmitter + Antenna

Post by endgame »

Ok so Petrol (Oil/Gas) is expensive....but what if you are on the move....and want to transmit FM from the Downtown core (where you don't live).

Is there a way to connect an electric wire to the battery for power output?

Considering the electric wire will be a separate (car) battery, which will get boosts every few hours from the car's battery.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

??

I hope you won't be trying this as it might be lethal the way you describe.
You're in for a nice explosion, possibly fatal.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
endgame
New registered user
New registered user

Post by endgame »

So why would it explode, in the method I have shown above?

------

Maintenance free (MF) Batteries rely on valves fitted to each cell which can vent hydrogen if over-pressurisation occurs. Generally however, oxygen and hydrogen recombine in the space above the electrolyte, so that over-pressurisation rarely occurs. However, should such a condition occur, and the valves fail to operate (through being blocked for example), then there is a possibility of an internal explosion if the oxy-hydrogen mixture is ignited. Just a slight jolt can cause a spark to jump between the posts, and the gas explodes. Personal injuries can result. The condition can be assessed if any swelling in the cell walls of the battery is visible. The swelling from internal pressurisation varies from cell to cell, that at the battery ends being most obvious, because the plastic is unsupported by cells at either side. It is surprising how powerful an explosion can be caused in the small air space above the electrolyte can occur, but when one cell explodes, it sets off a chain reaction in the rest. Such batteries should be isolated and discarded, taking great care using protective personal equipment (goggles, overalls, gloves etc) during the handling.

----

I am confused
#-o
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

You mentioned mains voltage and batteries, no AC/Dc power supply or charger was mentioned anywhere.

I think connecting 110V or 220V directly to a battery could have highly reactive results.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
endgame
New registered user
New registered user

Post by endgame »

pcs wrote:You mentioned mains voltage and batteries, no AC/Dc power supply or charger was mentioned anywhere.

I think connecting 110V or 220V directly to a battery could have highly reactive results.
Umm...When the battery goes down...then I will it give a boost?
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

But do not charge it while using it for the transmitter. Most chargers are not stabilized meaning
you can have lots of AC left and peaks can go way above 14V.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128