Getting the PCI-MAX 2006+ card to work...

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Grogster
Regular poster
Regular poster

Getting the PCI-MAX 2006+ card to work...

Post by Grogster »

Hi there.
:)

I have just got around to re-building my radio-station box, and after three hours of tinkering, have found the method which seems to work very well in getting the 2006+ card to work.

Because quite a few posts seem to indicate difficulty in installing the card, I thought I would submit this information.

This method is pretty much what PCS recommend anyway, I am just elaborating on that recomendation a little...

PROCEEDURE:

1) Install card and boot-up

2) Clicked [CANCEL] when asked about drivers for a "PCI Network Card" This is VITAL. Allowing windows to look for a driver at this point can stuff things up dramatically!

3) Install 2004 software driver package. DO NOT install the 2006+ driver(I know - it sounds crazy, but there is an acknowledged problem with this driver, whereas the 2004 driver is stable...) VERY IMPORTANT! - Wait for the driver install to report that it needs to reboot the machine. This happens about 30 seconds AFTER the installer says it has completed the install.

4) Reboot and point to the installation folder when asked again for the driver for the PCI card. This is done by putting a tick in the checkbox for "Specify a location". Click the BROWSE button, then find the install folder, normally C:\PROGRAM FILES\PCIMAX 2004. That done, and [OK] clicked, Windows should reward you with the message that it has found a "PCI MAX FM Radio Card". Follow the prompts, and you should then be on-air.

If you can't "See" the card under control panel/device-manager, you won't get far. Look for the following in the device tree:

...and all up and running happily...

I hope this thread helps anyone with install problems.

G.