UK new Broadcaster question

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

blakey
New registered user
New registered user

Post by blakey »

Hi Guys im seriously thinking about getting the 'PCIMAX2006+ PC FM stereo transmitter card', however is it legal to use this in the UK. I would want to broadcast to an area no larger than 10 miles and would use a frequencey that is not in use.

I dont have a very big budget, so what equipment would you reccomend so I can then broadcast from my home pc to fm sterios within 10 miles. I intend on using SAM Broadcaster software, but am unsure about what pc cards, antenna's etc to use.

Thank you for your time

Andy
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

I'm sure you know about the pirates that make up over half of the stations in London, right? Obviously some of those pirates have been around for a long time. It seems that if you're responsible, don't play profanity and don't interfere with other stations you stand a better chance or not getting caught.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's not legal to do, but many do indeed broadcast as pirates.

So basically you would be relying on the hope that the authorities never get notified and/or don't care about your station.

If you speed on the motorways and brake for each Gatso and "Talivan", yet don't get caught what's it like? Perhaps like pirate broadcasting.
-empty-
intertech
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by intertech »

Andy,

The PCI card with an external antenna like the Comet 5/8 wave is good for up to a mile, if you are looking to broadcast 10 miles then you will need a clear line of sight in the direction/area you wish to blanket, once you have established this then you know where the antenna has to be located, you will need at least 50 to 100 watts of radiated power and a clear frequency.

The antenna is the most important part of your system, as the saying goes, spend 100 euro on the transmitter and 1,000 on the antenna if you know what I mean, by getting your antenna up above the tree line/buildings you stand a better chance of getting your signal out.

Unfortunately even at budget prices you are looking at about 1,800 euro to get the coverage you want.

Take a look at the 100Watt stereo cybermax and the Dominator, then figure for coax, a power meter and connections.

Chris
It is what it is...