A "CAT"astophe!

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

vk1ac
New registered user
New registered user

A "CAT"astophe!

Post by vk1ac »

I'm going to tell you all just how good the PCS designs are..

Yesterday, I woke up to the smell of burnt circuit board and couldn't figure out which of my PC's had failed... until I noticed my cat had thrown up on the PCS 5Watt Amplifier.

Yes, the vomit had seeped down into the AC area through the vents and gotten under the potting compound on the AC input. The acidity conducted enough electricity to burn out all the AC traces under the compound and the AC/DC module (thus, the smell of burnt circuit board).

BUT! I pulled the AC/DC module off the board, tested it for opens or shorts, cleaned up the carbon tracks & burnt traces with a Dremel and sealed the board with lacquer. Then I hard soldered the AC input to the re-assembled AC/DC module (we use 240VAC downunda) and that little bugger fired right back up! It's back on air and putting out a comfortable 6Watts into 3/4inch Hard line coax. No smells... no smoke...

This morning, the amplifier is still putting out a solid 6Watts and running nice and cool. Just a hint of warm lacquer smell.

That's about as robust as anyone can design a circuit. They've done well and I'm going to add that little bit of information to my blogs and the on-air plug I do for PCS.

An excellent design job.. My hat is off to the lads at PCS.

Alex

http://www.bywong.com
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

...and to the cats that contribute to help with the durability testing. Very interesting story. =D>
-empty-
cons44
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by cons44 »

PCS... Feline tested, mother approved...

PCS... tested by cats, loved by all...

You're looking at the only cat-certified transmitter in the UNIVERSE!

<insert picture with cat wearing hard hat and claws with caption "PCS field tester">

No animal has been harmed in the creation of this post.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

cons44 wrote:PCS... Feline tested, mother approved...

PCS... tested by cats, loved by all...
<insert picture with cat wearing hard hat and claws with caption "PCS field tester">
Well, in fact you are 100% correct, here is the beast we use for testing:

Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128