300w amp (up to 20w input)

This is the place where you can ask questions
related to schematics posted on our website
and request new schematics. We will try to post whatever is possible.

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

daniel

300w amp (up to 20w input)

Post by daniel »

what is the possibility of building on of these amplifiers with out any measuring equipment?
http://www.polyfet.com/tbplt3.htm
i am also assuming that none of these 300 watt fm amps would be ready to use without filtering?
thanks for any replies
pcs
Site master
Site master

You're right

Post by pcs »

I would advice using spectral analyzer, although I am sure that
many have guilt it without one. Its more/less a no tune design
so I guess you could build one without it. But filter is definitely
necessary.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
Daniel

Thank you

Post by Daniel »

Thank you for your opinion, Marko, I know you are very knowledgable in this field. I will try and get ahold of a spectral analyser to test my amp.
If you are interested, I found a few good schemas, some even with pics of analysis. I could post some links.
Regards,
Daniel
pcs
Site master
Site master

Sure, go ahead!

Post by pcs »

Yes, Daniel, a link would be welcomed by everyone, I'm sure!
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
Daniel

phantomfm.org schemas

Post by Daniel »

I quote this from my email, in regards to the 350 watt amp posted on the phantomfm.org site. (direct link http://home.wanadoo.nl/jplatenk/schemas ... 78_new.zip)

"Drive power has to be about 4 Watt.
Yes! only 4W is enough to make 350W of output.
The design is very clean and has an good filter at the output line.
Bias voltage has to be about 1,4 Vdc at the gate of the FET (both gates)."

So... if you have a PCI max with a 5W booster or one of the Max Pro's, you are ready for this 350W amp ^_^ if you can handle that much.

I have one question regarding this quote: you see I was told there is already a filter on this schema, does that mean I don't need an external one? Is it possible to tell be the schema how good the filter is? I wouldn't know because I'm not a professional electronic. Perhaps you could help Marko? I trust the word of the man, but I want a second opinion because as I said, I don't have easy access to test equipment.
StormiNorm

BLF278

Post by StormiNorm »

From all appearances it has a filter on board...That still does not guarantee that your trnsmission will be harmonic free..Conducted Harmonic radiation and proper power supply filtering and dypass/Decoupleing is an area that should not be overlooked either...Remember it is when one has verified that all other potential sources of "induced' or passed along intermod products are reduced to the absolute minimum..it then and only then that one can expect the final LPF to do an effective job of filtering whatever possible harmonics is generated in the BLF278 Finalstage.

The fact that this particular circuit is what i refer to as a Broadbanded design with input tuning gain compensation etc.etc...one other reason to ensure that whatever signal is being amplified is relatively 'clean' harmonic content wise..because those harmonics will be equally amplified as well and may appear at the output of the BLF278 and the filter may not neccessarily reduce all the potential Low Frequency oscillations to the -60dBC Level.

And also the choice of Antenna is equally as important as well...The final stage consisting of the Coax feed and the Antenna of choice forms a tuned cct..and there are some cases whereby the choice of antenna and the level of attention paid to the tuning of the Antenna is equally as important...One might just have an Antenna resonateing at a frequency that is maybe a harmonic of lets say a frequency not properly attenuated by the filter.

Also one needs to consider the fact that as a single stage RF amp..then chances are no other type of filtering might be needed...But what happens when one decides to combine two modules with on board individual filtering???..What rules apply here needs to be considered as well..You all think about that aspect as well.

Respects...StormiNorm