Health Risks

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

gamevision
Regular poster
Regular poster

Health Risks

Post by gamevision »

Do you think there is any helth risk involved if one sets up a radio station in his home with the antenna about 8 meters high on the roof?

Thanks
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

Yeah, I mean after all I've noticed a strange growth... j/k

Actually I'm not convinced there is much of a risk, especially in the FM freq. range. I mean what's worse, 20 or so watts or power outside, or a mobile phone (which uses similar frequencies as a microwave oven!) right next to your head?

Considering all the other things that harm our health (even the sun), I don't think you have to worry much about it.
-empty-
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Sir Nigel wrote:Yeah, I mean after all I've noticed a strange growth... j/k
In what area of your body? :lol:
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
kjaere
New registered user
New registered user

Post by kjaere »

Sir Nigel wrote:Yeah, I mean after all I've noticed a strange growth... j.
I was going to give a suggested answer, but not sure how far one can go in this forum, so ill leave it up to your imagination ;P

In Topic however, i think health risks are quite minimum so long as the wiring is done correctly and proper grounding rules are employed
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

:lol: I was just kidding. Maybe something like Cancer? Isn't that what people think radio transmissions will give them?
-empty-
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

kjaere wrote:
Sir Nigel wrote:Yeah, I mean after all I've noticed a strange growth... j.
I was going to give a suggested answer, but not sure how far one can go in this forum, so ill leave it up to your imagination ;P
Well, any extension in *that* area is usually welcomed :D
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
kjaere
New registered user
New registered user

Post by kjaere »

pcs wrote:Well, any extension in *that* area is usually welcomed :D
*g* whew humor is allowed here then ;P
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Definitely.

The only things not allowed here are:

- unsubstantionated bashing
- nutcases (some will remember NormB, who was baned for life,
but keeps trying to come back even though we ban his IP)
- Advertising competing products, which of course we cannot
tolerate

BTW, did anyone notice my great photo of our cat? Posted recently
in the forum...
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

A special courtesy from radioboy.
One of his shows, ie a part of it.

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/software ... ov2705.mp3

If you're into radio broadcasting, than you'll enjoy this A LOT!
Well done, RadioBoy!

=D>
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

"Because I am feeling rather energised this evening" okay...

Anyways, about the cat, what's the big deal about it? мы знаем что это красивейшим котом, stupid web translator, I want "koshka" not "kot".... I think that photo is massive! Can't you recompress it?

Ah yes, how could anyone forget Norm? I give my condolences to all the sleepless nights spent by the PCS team trying to FILTER OUT HIS CRAP!
-empty-
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Sir Nigel wrote:"Because I am feeling rather energised this evening" okay...!
I really like the beginning.
Sir Nigel wrote:Anyways, about the cat, what's the big deal about it? мы знаем что это красивейшим котом, stupid web translator, I want "koshka" not "kot".... I think that photo is massive! Can't you recompress it?
Well, I took the pic and I think its a rather good photography.
You need a full-size pic to fully appreciate its quality.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
radioboy
Regular poster
Regular poster

I choose to attract the discriminating listener

Post by radioboy »

I'm honored Marko seemed to enjoy a recent aircheck of my little station, enough so to post it here and share it with others. Fact is, I couldn't have reached this stage if it weren't for PCS. Having been involved in clandestine broadcasting since I was about knee high to a gates board and turntable (anybody remember those things? <g>) I thought I would share a little bit of my story, in hopes it may inspire some others, and help them focus on using the medium to it's fullest.

My goal in going "On The Air" VS. podcasting is simple. I grew up enjoying the end years of Personality driven, Top-40 Rock & Roll radio, and essentially I'm someone who's hell bent on bringing back the once coveted, old, top-40/Personality sound of when radio was, and even down to the jingles, liners, and sweepers, and so I created an extensive array of the elements between the hits, to create some excitement for my listeners ears (and help prevent listener fatigue) I painstakingly plan my shows to maximize my time on the air to provide an enjoyable and engaging listening experience, and provide my audience with something worthwhile tuning into (which they don't otherwise get from the commercial fm's or even satellite channels) because of the diversity of the format and unique, relaxed - yet very well planned out program content.

In a nutshell, that's the secrete to my success. First, ensure you have a technically superior transmitter which won't raise any flags with the authorities or neighbors, and ensure before EVERY broadcast it's in tune. In today's "plug & play" world, all too often people with really no-business having access to something they may fancy at the time as being "cool" or "fun" shouldn't really be involved with, or allowed access to such a device because they tend to abuse it, simply due to the fact they have no real understanding or appreciation for the item at all.

Secondly, if you are going to take the time, energy and expense to put a pirate station on the air, think about what your goals are, & what really makes you qualified to do so? What unique alternative to the airwaves are you going to offer listeners to engage them? Why would or should they want to tune in to you?.. Some have political agenda's,that's fine if that is your thing, still others (like myself) simply have a yearning to recreate the past (heyday, of Top-40 Radio, when Personality, Fun, and excitement with unrestricted and play lists with variety, and just have some tasteful fun on the air! That has been my approach. I have no problem going from an Andrew Sisters song into an Unkle Kracker song, if it's musically engaging or I'm performing a theme set, or I just happen to have it and someone requests it. Format wise, I'll perform my "old-hit/New-hit" format, or my "Greatest Hits Of All Time" type of presentation. Sunday's I reserve for my more "AOR-ish" delivery, lower key, deeper cuts, and more laid back approach.

Finally, my mindset about broadcasting comes from my more youthful years, when Broadcasters used to be "Responsible & Accountable" for what they put out on the airwaves. As someone who was required (back when I got into the biz) to obtain a 3rd Class FCC permit with Broadcast endorsement, (when I was working on the legit airwaves years ago, basically when I started at 16 years old) I learned the material for the test, took it seriously, and was quite proud to have earned that certificate, and even though it's as worthless as a flyshit in the ocean now a days, it's still something which stuck in my mind because I still am proud of it. It's all about "Quality" =NOT= Quantity (which is where most broadcasters, pirate or otherwise) just don't get it. Hell, if you hit the air (as I do) for just about an hour or two a night, and provide an intensely engaging and intellectually stimulating show, or pull the listeners in by providing a little something for everyone, you will get them coming back and scanning the dial again in hopes of catching you next time, versus - (for example) being on for hours and hours all night, providing schlocky program content, using profanity, and/or playing the same old crap that virtually every other station offers, in just the same manner, only difference is it's emanating from their little stick, & not the corporate giant stick, which (when done with little care) usually yields the pirate a knock on the door and visit from the man with a van.

So, that's my little story about Special J. Lonely and his "Pirate FM" I do what I do because I have a love and passion for the medium. To quote a line from a John Myles song: "Music was my first love, and it will be my last", and to quote another line from another famous song: "Radio, someone still loves you" (Queen, from radio gaga)

I respect my use of the radio spectrum when I hit the air because I realize there are hundreds of signals in my local area to choose from, I don't need to be the biggest, or loudest, or strongest signal, I choose to attract the discriminating listener who desires quality, (moving away from the conventional wisdom of researched radio formats) I like to say on the air "We play what we got" and how I put it together, well.. that's just just why people tune me in, they have some clues and ideas into my personality, but as I often say on the air.. expect the unexpected.

~Special J. Lonely~
((( RADIOBOY )))

ps: This is just my opinion of how I do what I do, and why. I don't make and judgements about how others choose to operate their station, the important take away from my post should be if you have somethining worthwhile to put out there, it's my assertion that if you do it in an entertaining and technically proficent manner, you will be appreciated more and likely stay on the air longer, because your audience will enjoy it and the authorities (with no complaints from the commercial stations or neighbors) due to interfearence , aren't likely to come knocking. Of course, anything can happen and I always plan for the "unexpected".
--
Art is a lie that tells the truth." -- Pablo Picasso
> "Whatever Picasso said." --Radioboy
radioboy
Regular poster
Regular poster

re: Well done, RadioBoy!

Post by radioboy »

Thanks for your kind comments Marko. I really enjoy entertaining the local listeners with my unique brand of "Aural Gratification" and I'm proud to say I have developed quite a number of loyal listeners. It's kind of like a special little club of folks who really look forward to tuning in and catching the shows. When I'm not on, I get almost as many e-mails wondering whats up, as I do when I take requests and chat during the broadcasts.

I would also like to point out that one of my station "Imaging" voices is another forum and PCS customer.. DJ-Dre' (from: Central FM)
http://www.centralfmradio.com/Andre.html who has a fine radio station over in Malta (which I am also proud to be associated with as well!)

((Radioboy))
aka: Special J. Lonely

pcs wrote:A special courtesy from radioboy.
One of his shows, ie a part of it.

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/software ... ov2705.mp3

If you're into radio broadcasting, than you'll enjoy this A LOT!
Well done, RadioBoy!

=D>
--
Art is a lie that tells the truth." -- Pablo Picasso
> "Whatever Picasso said." --Radioboy
gamevision
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by gamevision »

Thanks for your fine comments radoboy (and for your tribute to Central FM) ;). Let me also take this opportunity to thank radioboy for all the support durng the past years. Without your help I am sure that the station would have never materialised.

I would also like to comment about the radio shows produced by radioboy, something unique which I esteem as truly pure entertainment at it's best. I recommand to everyone out there who enjoyes a laugh and some good high quality programming (something very rare today) to tune in and have a peek to truly understand what Radioboy's 'Aural Gratification' is all about..

Cheers and respects!
Andre`
93.3 Central FM Radio Manager
-------------------------------------------------------
www.centralfmradio.com
Ian Kogneato
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Ian Kogneato »

Wow.. this was a nice surprise. I finally heard my first pirate radio broadcast.

It's obvious that a lot of care and time was taken. I haven't heard "Blow Away" in almost 20 years and also liked the Thanksgiving theme/discussion.

Speaking of 20 years gone by. I recall tuning in late night on the AM dial quite well. I used to reach stations such as W-N-O-X, W-A-B-C and W-L-S. Back in those days, you kept a pen and paper close by. If you heard something new (or even if it was an oldie) , you never knew if you would hear it again, so you'd better write down the title if you wanted to buy the record.

By the way. Who did your jingles? They sounded great! Every where I have checked, it seemed way out of my budget.

Another question. I plan on doing a broadcast with promotion. The closest ef see see (spelled this way to avoid key searches).. is about five hours away. My broadcast will be clean (signal and language) . I'm thinking even if they are notified, that at a minimum, it would take five hours travel time, also they would have to locate signal (any idea how long that takes them? ) + they would have to file a search warrant with the courthouse. My guess is that I would have at least eight hours of safe broadcast time. I'd like your feedback on this if possible.

If broadcasting was something I planned on doing on a daily,weekly or even monthly basis, I would probably not take the promotional method and be more discrete. I plan on placing well designed flyers in morning drive-time traveled areas. I will probably broadcast less than twice a year. Of course, there is no perfect method, but considering what I've mentioned, do you think I have a pretty safe chance?

Like you, I remember back when the Jock's had personality. Now.. no matter what state or city you are in, the jingles, songs and Dee Jay's seem to sound the same. I also plan to revive a time gone by.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

I was impressed myself.

In fact radioboy sent me a lot more of these files, but I'm currently
totally swamped by work (working out last details with PCI MAX 2006
and MAX PRO 4 etc).

As soon as I get a bit more time I'll be uploading them to our server.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128