Do you absolutely need a computer?

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

cafr
New registered user
New registered user

Post by cafr »

I am interested in possibly getting the 15 watt balanced (XLR) audio DSP unit and I have a few elementary questions about it.

The non-balanced audio DSP unit (sells for $310) and it says recommended used a computer for audio processing. How necessary is this? Does the unit not have a built in compressor and limiter like the balanced audio unit does? Ideally what I want to do is have the DSP unit connected just to a sound mixing board like the Mackie 1402VLZ via right and left XLR.. I know DSP is great but what exactly would it do for me?
If I am going to be using a good mixing board, I might as well and invest in a good transmitter too and the difference between the non-DSP and DSP is about $200 so there’s got to be some advantages.

There’s probably a hundred things more I should as but for all, this will do.

Thanks for the help
"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session."

–Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)
cliffyk
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by cliffyk »

I'm using a Behringer MDX-1400 compressor/limiter that I got on eBay for $50 (they're only $100 or so new) with the SE3+ encoder. It's a great combination and the stand-alone c/l provides a lot of flexibility, including balanced I/O with XLR or thru "stereo" 1/4" plugs. I run balanced lines from the mike to the mixer, from the mixer to the c/l, and from the c/l to the encoder using XLR to RCA baluns at the encoder inputs.

The MDX-1400 is discontinued, replaced by the MDX-1600.
-cliff knight-
My Miata
cafr
New registered user
New registered user

Post by cafr »

Thanks for the reply and the link.
I think I am going to get dmx 266 and/or 266. These are stereo units as well.
The only thing that sucks is that you have to get another one each time you add more than two inputs, like four mics would need a pair (total of two) stereo/limiters/compressors.

thanks for the suggestions.
"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session."

–Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)