Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Which do you think will win?

Blu-Ray
40%
HD DVD
20%
I could care less
20%
What the crap are you talking about? My VHS collection is just fine!
20%

Total votes: 5

Sir Nigel

HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray

Post by Sir Nigel »

Anyone want to debate this one? If you are not aware what these mean, they're the new formats soon to replace all our DVDs which some of us have just switched over to using. So far eveyone feels that there needs to be only one format, that that is easier said than done! My personal vote goes for the Blu-Ray format, mainly because it has a larger capacity.
-empty-
anon
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by anon »

I would bet against whichever one Sony is backing (remember beta?). On the other hand, I think Sony's recent push of movies for the PSP is interesting since it is creating yet another proprietery format.

Personaly, I don't care because I only own about 4 DVDs and I use a PS2 to play them. I figure as long as I can rip them and change them to another format, I'll be alright.
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

Not intending to go against what you said, this is however a very biased article supporting Blue-Ray:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2110495/

I see capacity wining over the computer users, that article brings up an interesting point:
While HD-DVD backers tout 30-gigabyte, dual-layer disks, Sony already has a 50-gig, dual-layer model and has an eight-layer, 200-gig superdisk in development.
On the other hand HD-DVD seems to have support by the DVD Forum plus (if I remember correctly) more of the movie companies.

I'm very interested in what will happen, as everyone appears to only want one because they have seen how other format wars went.
-empty-
anon
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by anon »

I seem to be in a mood tonight where I'm just forwarding information rather than synthesizing it but I found this interesting article on yet another optical disk technology that has a higher density then both HD-DVD and BluRay:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/0 ... 924,00.htm

After reading the Slate article, I found myself hoping that BluRay would come out ahead while fearing that HD-DVD will actually be the winner of the upcoming "format wars".

It's interesting what you said about everyone wanting one to come out ahead. Why does one have to dominate? Why couldn't there be two formats, maybe BluRay for data or people who have home theaters and HD-DVD for people who just buy family movies and have a 21" TV?

As a side note, I am getting tired of "HD" being added to everything these days and having it seem to mean something different every time. HD-DVD, HD Radio, HD TV (which is different than DTV).
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

The whole "one format" thing is more speculation/preference. A lot have learned from the VHS/Betamax issue (even my parents had a Betamax) and realized how only one prevalied. Along with the fact that most comsumers would only want to buy one player too!

That's a neat article. I've read about the same technology. I'm all in for the most storage capacity!
-empty-