Dont make me repeater myself

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Dont make me repeater myself

Post by lanceboil »

Howdy!

I am looking for a couple of things, and the info to educate myself about them:
One item I need is a studio-to-transmitter link. The EZLink 400 on this PCS web page looks like it will do what I need, but the prices is about five times what I can afford. What other solutions are there for getting from my studio to my transmitter?
Another thing I have been thinking about is repeaters. I'd like to be able to transmit on one frequency to a repeater, that then transmits on another frequency. The repeaters would only need to be a watt or two, or maybe a tiny bit more, and whatever I use to transmit to them would need to be strong enough to transmit a couple of miles maybe. I want to do this in stereo.
If I have a stereo multiplexed signal coming out of my modulator, or multiplexor, can I broadcast THAT signal to my repeaters, that would then broadcast a stereo FM signal, thereby eliminating the need for a stereo transmitter to transmit to the repeaters?

Any suggestions? Advice? Or info? I would greatly appreciate it, as I always do!

Cheers!
StormiNorm

HOW 'BOUT TWO TIN CANS STRINGS

Post by StormiNorm »

Gidday Mate,

Sir Lancelot,

Sounds as if you are ready to comence "Whuuping the Lover's A**"...Also Sir lancelot,if you don't mind or take an offence to my asking you if you are Gay? are you?

Ride high..shoot straight pardner!
lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Re: HOW 'BOUT TWO TIN CANS STRINGS

Post by lanceboil »

StormiNorm wrote:Gidday Mate,

Sir Lancelot,

Sounds as if you are ready to comence "Whuuping the Lover's A**"
Uhmmm....isnt that "Whuuping the LLHAMAS ass"? Well...to each their own...I wont judge what anyone does in the privacy of their own barnyard. :lol:
...Also Sir lancelot,if you don't mind or take an offence to my asking you if you are Gay?

Ride high..shoot straight pardner!
I wouldnt mind or take offence at all!

Now...you wouldnt mind or take offence to answering a few simple QUEERies of mine, would you?
I notice that you seem to have a bias against PLL xmitters. Why is that?
Also, a repeater is basically a receiver and a transmitter. So can you sugest a 1-watt (Or 2 or 3) transmitter that is easy/cheap to build, stable, and good? I looked at some of the veronica plans at the freeradioberkely site...and they seem easy enough.
So I also need a receiver: Something that maybe tunes into TV channel 6, and then hands that signal/program over to the transmitter for re-broadcast on a different FM frequency. Any suggestions there? I want to be STEREO with this.
Can I broadcast a stereo multiplexed signal to this receiver, and therefor NOT need any mulitplexor? Just a transmitter that sends that signal out to be received by other peoples stereo radios?

Cheers!
StormiNorm

Post by StormiNorm »

Damn Sir Lancelot,

Good sense of humour there old chap!! i see you have been listening to the demo...ILLMMAS BLEEP....Barnyard action eh mate...oh boy..that was funny as hell..i am still cracking up with laughter.....Yo bro' we cant continue these kind of exchanges 'cos remember the powers to be,probabaly consider humour to be unrelated to a PLL or Electronics,or foreign to human nature.

Norm B

P:S...yup you can do all kinds of things to solve that problem of yours..dont feel like dealing with that right now...later maybe....let me see what kinda bullshit i am gonna have hear freom some people first
StormiNorm

HIGH POWER MOTOZ. UNITS

Post by StormiNorm »

In HAITI I USE THE HIGH POWER LOW/HIGH BAND MOTOZ. UNITS..OR EVEN THE 880-900 MHZ UNITS AS WELL FOR VARIOUS LINKS...THEY ALL WORK GREAT,ONCE YOU KNOW WAZZ UP
StormiNorm

as i said

Post by StormiNorm »

There are different ways of translateing a signal..will detail some later place date and time
StormiNorm

VHF__UHF LINKING NOT A VERY GOOD IDEA IN MY BOOKS

Post by StormiNorm »

First of all folks i am a bit concerned about the subtle suggestions that Sir Lancelot has offered in a round robin manner...First of all i dont know where he got the idea that i have a bias against PLL TX'S. I have outlined in other places the implementation of a regular standalone PLL as a link TX, used to link over to another mountain top in Haiti...In so doing two birds were slain with one stone so to speak..The main link frequency served also as a main signal coverage for that particular vicinity of the village,and across the mountain,the signal was translated to another freq. for greater coverage distance due to the location of the mountain etc.etc...I am not about to go into the details again..i have already done that. By so doing you will have incorporated some built in redundancy,and you now have the same programming material transmitted on two seperate freqs.blah..blah.

As far as the first impression of the Veronica/*Ads not allowed* units is concerned i would definitely say why not.The ideas i presented are universally adaptable.

Be very carefull about useing any VHF/UHF apparatus for linking..especially stateside..there are tons of users allocated to that spectrum,and some are Emergency and rescue services..More on that later.

Norm B
lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Re: VHF__UHF LINKING NOT A VERY GOOD IDEA IN MY BOOKS

Post by lanceboil »

StormiNorm wrote:First of all folks i am a bit concerned about the subtle suggestions that Sir Lancelot has offered in a round robin manner...[/b]

Oh? You didnt want anyone to think you had some...er...'personal' reason for asking if I'm Gay? ;)

First of all i dont know where he got the idea that i have a bias against PLL TX'S. I have outlined in other places the implementation of a regular standalone PLL as a link TX, used to link over to another mountain top in Haiti...In so doing two birds were slain with one stone so to speak.

I thought I had read a couple of your posts here and elsewhere that you where saying that PLL's where maybe not the superior method. Its no big deal, you would know much better then I, I'm just looking to pick your brain and educate myself.

.The main link frequency served also as a main signal coverage for that particular vicinity of the village,and across the mountain,the signal was translated to another freq. for greater coverage distance due to the location of the mountain etc.etc...I am not about to go into the details again..i have already done that. By so doing you will have incorporated some built in redundancy,and you now have the same programming material transmitted on two seperate freqs.blah..blah.

Well..I guess thats one way to do it...But in my neck of the woods, the 88-108 is pretty jammed up...so finding suitable freqs would be a hassle...aside from then possibly interfering with way more then I would want to interfer with.

As far as the first impression of the Veronica/*Ads not allowed* units is concerned i would definitely say why not.The ideas i presented are universally adaptable.

Im not sure what you mean here?
Could you suggest to me a decent, easy to build, 1-watt transmitter? SOmething that could easily go below 88mgz...like 86mgz (ch 6)?

Or howabout some kind of microwave repeater setup? Something that I could actually build?

Be very carefull about useing any VHF/UHF apparatus for linking..especially stateside..there are tons of users allocated to that spectrum,and some are Emergency and rescue services..More on that later.

Norm B

OK...its a little later....can we hear more on that? Please?

Cheers
Lance Boil
StormiNorm

LOOK I DONT HAVE TIME TO WASTE

Post by StormiNorm »

I dont know if you folks realize that this is not a joke to me..i take what i do very seriously...i can recall asking Marco by email what are his views on the MIP and Haiti etc.etc..His reply was "what about it???"
So to keep it short ,it is my turn to ask you Sir Lancelot, what about it??
lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Re: LOOK I DONT HAVE TIME TO WASTE

Post by lanceboil »

StormiNorm wrote:I dont know if you folks realize that this is not a joke to me..i take what i do very seriously...i can recall asking Marco by email what are his views on the MIP and Haiti etc.etc..His reply was "what about it???"
So to keep it short ,it is my turn to ask you Sir Lancelot, what about it??
First of all folks i am a bit concerned about the subtle suggestions that Sir Lancelot has offered in a round robin manner...

Oh? You didnt want anyone to think you had some...er...'personal' reason for asking if I'm Gay?

First of all i dont know where he got the idea that i have a bias against PLL TX'S. I have outlined in other places the implementation of a regular standalone PLL as a link TX, used to link over to another mountain top in Haiti...In so doing two birds were slain with one stone so to speak.

I thought I had read a couple of your posts here and elsewhere that you where saying that PLL's where maybe not the superior method. Its no big deal, you would know much better then I, I'm just looking to pick your brain and educate myself.

.The main link frequency served also as a main signal coverage for that particular vicinity of the village,and across the mountain,the signal was translated to another freq. for greater coverage distance due to the location of the mountain etc.etc...I am not about to go into the details again..i have already done that. By so doing you will have incorporated some built in redundancy,and you now have the same programming material transmitted on two seperate freqs.blah..blah.

Well..I guess thats one way to do it...But in my neck of the woods, the 88-108 is pretty jammed up...so finding suitable freqs would be a hassle...aside from then possibly interfering with way more then I would want to interfer with.

Im not sure what you mean here?
Could you suggest to me a decent, easy to build, 1-watt transmitter? SOmething that could easily go below 88mgz...like 86mgz (ch 6)?

Or howabout some kind of microwave repeater setup? Something that I could actually build?
StormiNorm

CHANNEL_ 6_TV

Post by StormiNorm »

The frequency allocation for CH6 IS 82-88 MHZ.
THE VIDEO IS AT 83.250MHZ
THE AUDIO IS AT 87.500MHZ
SO BASICALLY STATESIDE OR PER FCC YOU CAN CONSIDER ATTEMPTING TO "Whupp the lovers A** Win Amp style and fashion at 88MHZ..NOT BELOW!! If the spectrum is so crowded in your neck of the woods,and you cant find a clear spot on the dial..THEN CALL IT A DAY! KEEP YOUR DISTANCE..Or you might have been able to determine that there is an open space but you would be subjected to severe overmod and splatter resulting from two legal Flame throwers positioned both above and below your intended frequency of operation.,,So even if you wanted to adopt the 3rd. adajacent channel line of thought,you are left only one option...Space invasion

So you can either complain to the FCC..(good luck!) or just go the Bank and get a loan for a couple of $G'S,place an order to PCS-Electronics,and keep your eyes wide open and intellect together...Get some Copper and wack your self a 2Bay "Hornsby Bitch Slap" array and invade and assume your rightfull space,with authority and clean brute force..And always remind your self of the legally stipulational Paranoia...Tis your A** ..You assume full responsibility

Norm B