Busted

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Busted

Post by znight »

Hi everyone :D

Have not visited this site in awhile, btw Marko.. love the new board and yes I know I owe you some money and I will make things right with you (i'm broke at the moment).

Moving on,
I've had my station on for quite some time now and I think it has grown quite popular (probably because I play unedited music). Rarely ever do I broadcast during weekdays, I mostly keep it on all weekend. I started out with 100mW and I am now at 100 watts. I'm now regretting giving it so much power. A few days ago, I had to take the station off air.. disconnect all equipment and hide it. I caught word from a DJ that works at a local commercial station that a guy called up and asked him if he had heard of my station. The DJ, who knows me.. said yes. The caller went on about how the station plays swear words, etc and asked why none of the corporate stations reported it to the FCC. DJ said it's none of their business (the DJ's, program directors of local stations around here even listen to me!). Caller became furious and apparently said that he had already called. I'm a bit worried. I have a HUGE party to DJ on the weekend of Nov. 22nd, about 2 weeks from now and I want to broadcast live from there. So, I have a few questions. When the FCC receives a complaint, how long does it usually take them to respond? Also, if my station is off air from now until that party and it's during the evening (of course) what are my chances of getting caught? I need help here guys, my station is just too popular and too much fun for me to give up. It's become a big part of my life. The guy who complained does not know where I live or who I am. Can the FCC trace the signal? If so, to what degree can they pinpoint it? Would changing broadcast locations on a monthly basis help? Changing frequencies perhaps? ANY suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.
StormiNorm

Intimidation tactics...me thinks

Post by StormiNorm »

Greetz,

First of all,get that fallacy out of your head that you can hide from the FCC...OR SMOKE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF SPECIAL BLEND...In this day and age of ELECTRONIC EAVES DROPPING,then it is relatively simple for any Law enforcement agency to Locate your TX...The very moment one commences to radiate a signal,then your cover is blown so to speak...For example just useing a "Cellulite" phone can allow them to pin-point your relative position within a roveing cell..etc.etc.

If the FCC shows up atb your Station then after proper identification,and you are satisfied,dont confront them..co-operate and allow them to execute the Seizure..Afterall we are by the rules laid down ,you are breaking the law..hopefully the only regulation you are breaking is that of operateing a unlicensed radio station..not a spectrally offensive station.

Then regroup from there.

Norm B
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Good advice

Post by znight »

Hey Norm,

Thanks for replying to my post. I know for a fact I can't hide, i'm just looking for some probability. I don't think my station is offensive, I mean i've had it on for a year now and everyone loves it.. with the exception of one prick. I don't get that about some people. It's not like the guy is forced to listen, I mean if they don't like it.. turn the dial. He thinks he's doing something good by reporting me, but how do you consider putting a 20 year old kid in federal crosshairs who's just trying to have innocent fun. I'm certainly not trying to hurt anybody, and I always get an overwhelming response when I do my friday night radio shows. I make people laugh, and that makes me feel good. When you can make a person laugh, you brighten their day. Why doesn't he try going after drug dealers or something else useful. From what i've heard, even local law enforcement listens to the station and does not complain.

I think from now on I will stick to only broadcasting live from parties that I DJ on occasion. You didn't entirely answer my question though, how long does it usually take for them to respond to a complaint? Supposing the guy did actually call the FCC, which you're probably right.. it's intimidation. However, it is better to be safe than sorry. I will be back on air on the night of that party, rocking out as always. I just hope I can do that without problems. Would they try to find me at night? I mean, do they go by normal business hours? Just wondering how risky it is to broadcast that night with a potential complaint filed with the FCC, and if I should take that risk. After all, I do have quite a bit of money invested. Suppose a seizure happened, would they take my mixer and my laptop that I keep my MP3's on, or would they just confiscate the TX/antenna?

Z.

btw: I'm a non-smoking alcoholic :wink:
lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Re: Good advice

Post by lanceboil »

znight wrote:Hey Norm,

Thanks for replying to my post. I know for a fact I can't hide, i'm just looking for some probability. I don't think my station is offensive, I mean i've had it on for a year now and everyone loves it.. with the exception of one prick. I don't get that about some people. It's not like the guy is forced to listen, I mean if they don't like it.. turn the dial. He thinks he's doing something good by reporting me, but how do you consider putting a 20 year old kid in federal crosshairs who's just trying to have innocent fun. I'm certainly not trying to hurt anybody, and I always get an overwhelming response when I do my friday night radio shows. I make people laugh, and that makes me feel good. When you can make a person laugh, you brighten their day. Why doesn't he try going after drug dealers or something else useful. From what i've heard, even local law enforcement listens to the station and does not complain.

I think from now on I will stick to only broadcasting live from parties that I DJ on occasion. You didn't entirely answer my question though, how long does it usually take for them to respond to a complaint? Supposing the guy did actually call the FCC, which you're probably right.. it's intimidation. However, it is better to be safe than sorry. I will be back on air on the night of that party, rocking out as always. I just hope I can do that without problems. Would they try to find me at night? I mean, do they go by normal business hours? Just wondering how risky it is to broadcast that night with a potential complaint filed with the FCC, and if I should take that risk. After all, I do have quite a bit of money invested. Suppose a seizure happened, would they take my mixer and my laptop that I keep my MP3's on, or would they just confiscate the TX/antenna?

Z.

btw: I'm a non-smoking alcoholic :wink:
Find the idiot that snitched, and remove him permenantly from the gene-pool, you will be doing humanity, the world, and society a great favor. The very lowest thing in the world is a snitch, NO ONE likes a snitch.

Do you know who this person is?

Where are you located at? And do you do a web broadcast?
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Snitches

Post by znight »

Lance,

Thanks for the support :) I have heard the road he lives on and it's about 2 miles from here. Although, I don't know what house it is. Even if I did know, I would not retaliate by destroying his property, paintballing his house (as fun as that sounds right now). As cliche as this may sound, I do not care to sink to his level. I won't say exactly where i'm located, because you never know if one of those bastards reads this board. I used to have a webcast, which was popular as well. I'd give you the link, but right now there's no station to webcast :( Perhaps i'll be back on regularly. Feel free to message me if you wish to know details of the station, location, etc.

Just in the period of time from my last post, i've had several people call my cell phone asking me what happened to the station, etc. I mean you know, i'd be more than happy to get licensed. But in this day and age everything is designed in the best interest of corporations. I've noticed another thing, for LPFM licensing it's only given to schools/churches/etc. Don't get me wrong, both are great causes. What about the unemployed talented DJ who wants to become an entrepreneur and take a chance? I have read about people around here who are qualified/knowledgeable and have applied and been denied for what appears to be no reason except that they are an individual person. I'm determined to make a difference, I just don't exactly know how yet.

-Z-
StormiNorm

KEEP ON SPANKING

Post by StormiNorm »

Well the fact that someone has bothered to "Stir things up" a bit is a good sign actually as far as i am concerned...it means that you have invaded someones space...GOOD!...and also congrats on the outpour of audience support,that is also another good sign..means that you are dropping a wicked beat....Kewl and Deadly..yah man!....Never miss an opportunity to "Whup that Lovers A**"!....Ok now let me hurry up and say what i have to say re-this situation,'coz the powers to be would consider these experiences of yours to have no relationship to Radio or Communication Electronics..How that can be i dont know,especially in this case....what is causeing all the attraction on your end?a PLL i would imagine.

Also another set of views that can be exracted from your fears and doubts (and thanks for shareing them with us all) Is the fact that the ordinary LPFM/PIRATE/COMMUNITY OPERATOR has to shy away from the "Hideing" syndrome....If there ever was a reason to be public,here are a few of them.

1)As a well intentioned LPFM Advocate,one should try to adopt a bit of Public Relations on a 1to1 basis in your community..Try and put together a few reference pages of info on the Political end of Comminity Radio...Explain to them what LPFM is all about..include a few URL'S that is on our side re the politics of LPFM.

2)Include some dealer URL'S as well.

3)Also inform them that if your operation causes any interference to them in anyway,shape or form,to please ensure that they notify you of it first,because even though you have gone to extremes to ensure that your emmission is harmonic free,there are times when one has to personally cure the interference at the point of cantact...right at the TV or Radio antenna terminals etc.etc.
Make sure that your respect for other users of the spectrum is first and foremost,and convey that to them!!!

Also you should be "Kommended" for your restraint....Yup i agree with you...you may wanna just "Pop" that little Punk so badly,but in this case it is not the proper solution.

I know if it was me,and i knew where he lives,i would probably walk right up to his front door and wave my Little "Skully Wully" Pirate Radio Flag, with the Greetings "HI" painted all over...Then when he comes to the door,i would ask him to step out out side for a minute 'cos i need to have a face to face..man to man talk with him..Then when he steps outside,i would greet him with "HEY YO WAZZ UP?"............Situation taken care of
But no that is not the way to deal with that....Peaceful non co-operation..Ghandi style...MPEG LAYERED Bitch Slapping works always.

Norm B

lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Re: Snitches

Post by lanceboil »

Hi,
Now I have a couple of questions: Did you actually get "Busted" or not?
Did the FCC actually come to your house? Did they flash badges at you? Did they inspect your equiptment? Did they give you a peice of paper telling you to knock it off? Did they send you any letters?

If you havnt had any of the above happen, then you have not been "Busted". However, having said that, if you have received word from your radio station buddy that someone has complained, then you need to assume that someone DID indeed complain.
About the only way to get the FCC to drive over to your place and scold you is by having someone file a written complaint...And It sounds like that *may* have happened. So at this point, dont risk it by going on 24/7, however, you are probably a lot safer going on in the evenings...and maybe moving your transmitter site each time you go on....And I personally think it is a GOOD thing to do so, as its a bit of an "In your face" to the snitch.

As for the snitch: I can understand the Ghandi non-violent pacifist thing, I can dig it. And to an extent I agree with such philosophies; His karma will run right over his own dogma, and he will get his...as the universe has its way of ballancing things out. And having said THAT, there is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING worse then a snitch...especially a tattle-tale crank who wants to inflict his puritanical BS on to everyone elses fun...especially when it is not hurting anyone else, and a lot of other people dig it....These people are the lowest form of scum there is. And people like that keep up their BS as long as they get away with it.
So, from THAT point of view, knowing who this guy is, and what he is, you would be doing yourself, your community, and the world around you a favor to make sure that everyone knows exactly WHO he is, and what he did, and that he cannot be trusted whatsoever...because guys like that can get people seriously screwed over, and even killed (They usually dont just stick to snitching on pirate radio stations). (I have some strong opinions on this sort of thing, because I have seen it happen...more then once, that this kind of thing leads to some REALLY bad situations.)

Therefor, if it is not within your philosophical, moral, or pragmatic abilities to cut his toungue out, shove it up his blow-hole, sew his mouth shut with barbed wire, then crucify him and set him on fire in front of his moms house....then at least let anyone and everyone around you know that he is a snitch...that way people are informed and can avoid the creep and not give him a chance to screw them over. Its a public service announcement.

Ok, rant over. Good luck!

Cheers
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Still kickin ass!

Post by znight »

Helloooo again!

Sorry for the long time period of no response. I did not get busted, no agent knocked on my door or anything like that (whew). I'd like to say that the party I DJ'd 2 weeks ago went GREAT. The broadcast was solid and 200 people showed up at the party and we had several more listening to the station playing it at other parties all over town. I went on air last weekend with no problems, and I will be going on air again this weekend. The station's popularity is continuing to grow and people are offering to pay me to throw parties at their homes and broadcast live from there :) FURTHERMORE.. I have found out who the snitch is and someone who knows him :D On this weekend's broadcast, per your suggestion (lanceboil), I will be discussing him frequently and going in to detail about how he snitched. As far as your suggestions go Norm, I am following them as well. Two other people will be starting up pirate stations in the area with my guidance :) A lot of this has given me great motivation, and it has brought several ideas to my mind about things that marko could make and that maybe even all of us could come together and help produce.

Long live pirate radio!
-Z-

P.S. Marko - would you mind if I advertised PCS on air?
pcs
Site master
Site master

Of course not!

Post by pcs »

Hey,

of course I wouldn't mind some extra advertising :-)

As for your idea of contributing to a new product, perhaps
we should start a project like this. Where more people could
contribute with ideas and practical solutions!
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Re: Of course not!

Post by lanceboil »

pcs wrote:Hey,

of course I wouldn't mind some extra advertising :-)

As for your idea of contributing to a new product, perhaps
we should start a project like this. Where more people could
contribute with ideas and practical solutions!
How about this for a project:
A PC based STL (Kinda like the PCI Xmitter, only not in the 88-108 range, but some other range)
AND a 1-watt (or 1/2 watt) repeater that the PC based STL could transmit TOO.

The problem: Many LPFM broadcasters need to be far away from their actual transmitter, so an STL is needed. But most STL systems are cost prohibitive; too expensive.
So perhaps something like the PCI transmitter that could act as the STL transmitter (Via a directional antenna, maybe in the 2.5 ghz range) with software similar to what is already with the PCI transmitter, and maybe some extra stuff to allow networked control over programming and file uploads etc.

The problem: Some of us REALLY need a cheap, reliable, stable FM repeater: Something that receives on say...a UHF TV channel, or some such thing, and then transmits on a 88 to 108 mhz frequency. Something that is 9-volts, maybe 12, and could easily opperate off of a solar cell AND a battery

Hows those for starters?
I'm sure that if some folks here could see into my repeater idea, then they would suddenly decide that they need about a dozen of them themselves.

Cheers
lance Boil
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

not a bad idea

Post by znight »

Hmm..Good call on the ideas

I agree with you 100% on an affordable STL solution. I'd LOVE To have one. Then I would not have to break down *ALL* of my equipment when I broadcast from a remote location.

As for your next idea about repeaters. Hmm. This brings a thought to mind. Now mind you, this is far fetched. Nonetheless, it is an idea. As most of us know, the legal power to broadcast with on the 88-108mhz band is 100mW in the US. We further know that this can obtain up to a 1/4 mile of coverage. Combining these two ideas, why not make some type of legal network? Hmm.. probably wouldn't work now that I think about it. Unless maybe you used directional antennas? Picks up the 100mW signal, rebroadcasts on same frequency in the same direction. Sure, this could be done on 1 or 2 watts too. But, why not try to keep it legal? I'm no expert, but from knowledge thus far I guess this may be feasible. Ok, the hell with that idea. I just put some more thought in to it. Simply put, streaming over the internet. Privately stream from your studio to those who are going to relay your signal. Yes, that would work even better. A hell of a lot easier, too. Norm, your thoughts? Marko? Hmm, this thread is starting to go off topic. I'm gonna go create another one for all of my ideas :)

Annnnnd i'm off
-Z-
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

Thought all of you may enjoy this. An update.

http://www.wnem.com/Global/story.asp?S=1089379 Be sure to watch the video.
wboz1987
New registered user
New registered user

Time to bust

Post by wboz1987 »

Hi znight!

I'm fairly new to the board at this time- I like to keep track of forums here and on Free Radio Network, and don't think I've ever replied to a post in this forum. I can say that I am quite impressed with the PCS Electronics website and their product line, and visit it quite often (also check *Ads not allowed* Kits site as well, but seems they haven't updated it for over a year now). Sorry to get off the subject; hope I can give you some information that might help. It's good to see your interest in ("pirate") radio, either AM, FM, or Shortwave. Hope others, such as yourself, can gather interest and become part of this interesting and exciting hobby! I myself have been doing this type of broadcasting for quite some time now, and won't divulge where or when, although you can write to me at my e-mail address for more info on anything I might have come across in the past concerning radio broadcasting. I started years ago with a 2-tube AM kit from Lafayette Radio-Electronics, then built a 5-watt kit (Popular Electronics June 1973), went to Panaxis (AM), then to Panaxis (FM), and then finally, most recently, to Broadcast Warehouse and *Ads not allowed* Kits for my latest equipment. My past endeavours were similar to yours, in that I started with low-power and then worked my way up. to where I am now running anywhere from 160 to 200 watts RF out, but only on Saturdays (usually, anyhow), and only for 2 or 3 hours at a time. The reason for this is that I had the same thing happen to me that you experienced, although I'm not so sure if it was a snitch or not, but somehow the FCC got "wind" of me on the air, and came up from Boston to investigate. At the time, there was talk that it was because of the CBer's running too much power (600 and 1000 watt linears), but I later found out that it was my own doing. I had chosen what I thought was a clear operating frequency, 105.3, and proceeded to mount me 2 dipole antennas on the 3rd-floor roof of my apartment, and then start broadcasting with 150 watts. Needless to say, a new (country) station, just setting up their equipment 40 miles away, heard me "loud and clear", and as the techs in their studio were monitoring me, they notified the FCC in Boston. The next day they were up in my vacinity, about 3 houses down the road, in an older-model Lincoln with an antenna (4-element direction-finding) disguised as a roof-rack, searching for me. A DJ friend of mine who worked at a near-by (legit) local radio station informed me that they had decease-and-desist orders and paperwork for seizure and up-to a $10,000 fine, but the trouble was, they must have thought I'd go back on the air, because they were at their location listening on Sunday morning, and I had only been broadcasting on Saturday evenings. So they never did find me, although they came close (I also had no name on my mailbox, just a number for the postman, which also probably helped)! They (the FCC) were in my vacinity for about 2 weeks, also monitoring CB's, and then they left and went back to Boston. The next day, the local papers had a write-up about it, and I went over to see my friend at the radio station, where we proceeded to ask the DJ on at the time if we could pick-up this pirate station on 105.3, whereby he said "That might be fun!", and stated to try to tune in my station while I was standing right beside him! This was quite amusing, and I realized that, as frightened as I was at having the FCC come up to investigate me, at least something funny seemed to come of it! I didn't go back on for at least 3 weeks, and like you, I had been gaining popularity, but because I was not on for a while, believe that I might have lost some of my listeners (there was speculation that I had been "busted", and all my equipment had been seized, but this was not the case). Anyway, I had plenty of back-up equipment in case of a raid if I'd decided to try to keep operating. So, the thing that might have saved me was the fact that I was not on the air at the time (it IS very easy for the FCC to triangulate and locate your station now), and that I had a lot of friends around supporting me (as you do) and enough information to know what the FCC was doing and where they were at a particular time. The most nerve-wracking part of it all was going back on-the-air 3 or 4 weeks later, and wondering if anyone else was going to complain, or if the 2 FCC agents were still anywhere nearby! I haven't had any trouble since, but my signal is now kind of "stealthed", in that I am on the same frequency another station 80 miles away is, and with their 50,000 watts, they can't hear me, and their signal is stronger to the FCC monitoring that frequency (the FCC has another branch closer to them than to me), and I'm on for such a short period of time (about 3 hours max), that by the time they come to investigate or even get in my vicinity, I'm "off-the-air", at least for another week or two. I's kind of a cat-and-mouse game, which makes it a little exciting I guess, and I'll agree, a lot of it probably has to do with luck. Just try to make sure you don't interfere with any other stations, aircraft (118 MHz and above), have a well-filtered output (I use a Wacom bandpass filter, but PCS Electronics sells fine Low-pass filteres that work excellent), try not to broadcast too much offensive material that people happening to listen to on the other end might complain about, and try to stagger your ON-AIR times (other than not being ON 24/7) so as to not make yourself too noticeable on the FM band. I know from various posts I've read over the years, that many FM operators have been busted and shut-down, and more now are going to AM (even AM Stereo) and Shortwave. Good-luck- I'm praying that things go smoothly for you, and trouble doesn't find you, as it almost did me!

wboz1987@yahoo.com
Wild Bill
yahta
New registered user
New registered user

Post by yahta »

znight wrote:Thought all of you may enjoy this. An update.

http://www.wnem.com/Global/story.asp?S=1089379 Be sure to watch the video.
did this guy ever get caught or did he shut it down before the fcc caught him..?
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

Shut it down before being caught.
daniel
New registered user
New registered user

hmm

Post by daniel »

well, i don't really have much to say besides the fact that i'm glad it's going good for you. i have my own pirate station at 20 watts right now and in about a month i will have a 300 watt amplifier. i hope i don't have to hide as you did. i only broadcast weeknights and weekends and keep profanities to zero as much as i can, usually only playing house/trance, and hiphop, but i really hate censoring so i stick to my club music usually.

my main problem in hiding would be pulling my radio tower down, which will soon be 18 metres high. if anyone has a good plan for a tower that can be pulled down in a hurry, i would appreciate it :)

keep it real, keep it pirate!

~dan

ps: i hate the way all the corporations are taking over... and the govts in the world are all communist because they allow it to happen! where is the freedom of speech and expression?!
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

300 watts, wow. Be careful with that much juice. If I were you i'd just keep it on 20. I was happy with 25 watts for a long time, but then just HAD to up the power. It was the power combined with the profanity that screwed me. If I would've just stayed on 25 watts i'd probably still be on the air (uncensored even). With the 300 watts though, i'd only go on the air during the weekends. Who needs a tower when you have a tree and a roll of duct tape? :D Worked just fine for me!

And as far as the freedom of speech/expression goes... We can keep bitching, but it won't get us anywhere. What will get us somewhere is pirate radio :) Well, it may not get us anywhere except in jail. However, it's fun while it lasts and you gain respect from a lot of people if you play your cards right. Oh yeah, the local newspaper decided to do an article on my station too. Here's the addy: http://www.mlive.com/business/sanews/in ... 073110.xml
daniel
New registered user
New registered user

^_^

Post by daniel »

As silly as this may sound, I'm not scared of the feds on bit. There's a bit of a difference of course, I'm living north of the 49th (in Canada). I think a big part of whether you get caught or not is how professional your sound. Most people will miss the station or not notice it because they usually use the automatic seek functions and never really pay attention to what comes up. I'm on 107.9 MHz and the closest station to me is on 104.9 MHz. Chances are, the only ones who know about it found out by word of mouth or on the net.

The station only causes interference on low quality receivers and walkmans from my knowledge, but only for about 30 metres from the aerial.

Duct taping my antenna to a tree would be a bit hard I think, it weighs 10 kg. I'll stick to my radio tower.

My biggest problem is getting some software that will run the station, I'm sick of using Winamp, but all the cart and scheduling software is so damn expensive! Any suggestions there? I want to be able to schedule my ID and news broadcast at every hour but I can't do it. Programs I've looked at are OtsJuke, Megamix, DRS2006, Raduga, LPB, and BSI. I think I just might have to shell out the $500 for software T.T
daniel
New registered user
New registered user

software

Post by daniel »

Perhaps there is some free linux based automation software? I saw some program but it was all text and extremely not appealing.
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

I have DRS2006, actually purchased it. While it is time consuming to set up it's certainly worth it. I never took the time to set it up, but I have saw it in action and messed around with it. Winamp always did just fine for me, except having to find a song in a 200 song playlist really quickly when I got a request.