CAN FCC Pinpoint my station if...

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

goodwave
New registered user
New registered user

this is to pcs

Post by goodwave »

pcs: could you explin the process or method to triangulate a source

thanks.....
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Let's say you're at point A.

Use directional antenna and turn it until you figure out from
which direction your reception is best.

Take your map and draw a line from where you are (point A)
towards the direction with strongest reception.

Now move to point B, say 1/2 a mile north.
Repeat your measurement. Again draw a line from your
point (B) to point of best reception.

Where the lines intersect is the transmitter....

Once you get very close just look for antennas or possibly
just direction of best reception (with engaged atenuator).
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
goodwave
New registered user
New registered user

estoy realmente impresionado

Post by goodwave »

que ondas pcs: estoy realmente impresionado por la respuesta diria yo instantanea que bueno que existe este foro, por lo poco que he visto es realmente interesante

saludos y por el aire andamos o que no? =D>
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Gracias, estupendo que te gusta!
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
revspalding
New registered user
New registered user

FCC Triangulation

Post by revspalding »

Back when I worked for the Colorado State Division of Telecommunications, the area State Patrol Captain brought back to my radio shop an FCC Agent who was trying to talk them out of a speeding ticket.... Thanks Captain! [-o<

Well, needless to say, he had to pay his ticket, and he checked out my radio shop fairly well for anything he could respond in kind to the State of Colorado.... All the licenses were up to date and everything was kosher, so in the time that he was there, he realized that we were kindred spirits and we began a relationship... :wink:

A year later, Robert Jordan was the field agent who busted Editor Don Bishop, of Land Mobile Radio Magazine fame. It seems that Don was driving across Kansas towards Colorado Springs, operating an illegal aircraft band (122.8 MHz) transmitter from the trunk of his car! He was broadcasting 100 watts on a channel that limits planes to 5 watts, and was using a tape recorded message from a pirate radio station in New York City... Captain Midnight or someone, profane and rude... Every plane in the air could hear him and the FCC was getting complaints that followed his car across the country... Robert Jordan was sitting in LaJunta, CO, by the side of the highway in his unmarked suburban, that had the front passenger seat full of radio receivers... He could listen to everything from 50KHz to 2 GHz, AM, FM, SSB, CW, you name it, he had the ability to listen to it. Feeding these receivers was a novel antenna... It was recessed into the roof and consisted of a 3 foot diameter circuit board feeding a custom built directional indicator... The directional indicator was simply a small plastic box with radially mounted LED's indicating avery 10 degrees of the compass... The circuit board had 72 radially oriented antennas etched into the topside, and the underside of the circuit board contained the driving circuitry, switching the biasing of each pair of fed elements through rf diodes. The top of the board was flush with the roof of the suburban and rivetted to the counter sunk edge of the hole in the top of the beige suburban, the edge filled with bondo and the whole assembly was painted beige.... You could stand 10 feet away and not be able to tell it had a direction finding antenna on it... I was impressed, and tried to solicit the schematic of the diode switching for the different elements of the antenna, and the setup for the signal strength indicator, but he wouldn't budge and let me know that it was designed in house, at the FCC HQ... I told him, "I have to have it"... Oh, well. :cry:
It was quite a setup, and all he needed to do was to set up on a side road, and watch the LED's as Don Bishop drove by.... The LED's swept from the east side of the display to the west side of the display, just as Don drove by... [-X

Mr. Bishop claimed he was trying to test the FCC's response to someone transmitting illegally for editorial purposes.. :^o .. It was a little embarassing for the editor of an industry rag, but you know, it kindof went away after a couple of mentions, and I think that RHIP... Oh, the magazine probably paid the fines, and the FCC didn't send him up the river... It might be a defense if they ever try to rake you over the coals... You can claim that their persecution of you is arbitrary and capricious, when they obviously had a much bigger fish and they didn't fry him.

As to everyone's asking about whether the FCC can triangulate you... the answer is 'Quicker than you can imagine' The listening post the FCC uses to monitor land mobile radio transmissions from the State of Colorado is out of Idaho, so that gives you an idea of what 'skip' can do... The FCC has a lot of people working to take care of legitimate interference complaints, so I think as long as you don't interfere, and keep your power as low as necessary to just cover what you must, that they will probably ignore you, but, know this. If they want you, they've got you... They probably haven't heard you, or you would have heard from them. Once someone complains, either from interference, or because you are gaining an audience that might be stepping on a paying stations market, the FCC has the men and machines to make light work of catching you...

IMHO, the best way is to go the legal route... :wink: If you have a problem with Jesus, what with the state of religious freedom in the USA these days, it wouldn't seem like it would be that hard to start a church, worshiping EVORW (the Eternal Vibrations Of Radio Waves)throughout the galaxy. Beam me up Scotty... Now if I can just get this tin foil to fit my head a little more comfortably....

You can tell from my username that I will be using the Non Profit community low power licenses to get my golden tones on the air. But get this, You can be a non profit organization without having 501c status. Then the IRS can't lord their tax exemption over your right to speak freely about ANY subject.

What the heck, pay to Ceasar what is his, and to the Lord what is His... Go on, Try it, you'll like it.... Jesus is the Way and My Way, but even Clapton sang about 'In the prescence of the Lord'
evil_genius
New registered user
New registered user

Post by evil_genius »

pcs wrote:Nope, it wasn't the IP :lol:
He is the site master a he probley matched your detailes with others in the database.
it is also not likely that he matched you by your ip address (possible but with a long prosses) if you have a stactic ip address enless you signed up both accounts on the same day :D :D :D :P :P :D :D :D