Adjusting power on the Cybermax 15-20W

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

radioboy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Adjusting power on the Cybermax 15-20W

Post by radioboy »

Hi,
I just received my cybermax (15-20W) exciter.
The documentation I received on cd-rom wasn't exactly for this unit, so I'm having some difficulty understanding some of the controls and functionality.

Mark & Peter have been quite helpful in providing me with some answers, but I'm curious what other users of this unit have experienced.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how to increase or decrease the output power. I'm told it's that little silver knob (trimpot) on the front, adjcent to the red LED (which I now understand is an SWR overload indicator)
however- trying to turn that silver trim pot is very difficult. Mark indicated turning it clockwise will increase power, counter clockwise will decrease power.

I'm wondering, is there some indication on the display LED which indicates what the power level is set to? or will that only be measured via the use of an SWR meter?

Has anyone else who obtained this unit attempted to make this adjustment? I'm curious as to your feedback with how much play or torque is required to turn that silver trim pot. It's quite delicate, and I can't seem to change it with just my fingers, so my only other choice would be to use some plyers, and I really don't want to do that since I don't get that tactile feel to what I'm doing, and I don't wish to break this knob.

Any insight or advice for other owners of this model would be appreciated.

Regards,
((RadioBoy))
--
Art is a lie that tells the truth." -- Pablo Picasso
> "Whatever Picasso said." --Radioboy
Noble Radio
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Noble Radio »

You have to use a SWR to determine power. I use needlenose pliers to adjust it and not had any problems. It turns fairly easy so don't use a lot of torque.
radioboy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Another question regarding SWR/Watt meter

Post by radioboy »

Hi Noble Radio,
I appreciate your reply regarding the power-adjustment.

Perhaps you or someone else can provide me with an answer to this;
Even after tuning the antenna and adjusting swr, do you advise keeping
the swr meter in-line and constantly monitoring the output signal?
Would that cause much power loss? or would you suggest that once I match the antenna and check wattage, it's ok to just plug the antenna directly into the back of the exciter and (in my case) into another low-pass filter prior to the antenna?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

((Radioboy))
--
Art is a lie that tells the truth." -- Pablo Picasso
> "Whatever Picasso said." --Radioboy
Noble Radio
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Noble Radio »

I've left my SWR inline for monitoring the power output but I like lights and meters to know what's happening. Just remember that every extra connection you have will decrease your power output. So if you want the max power output keep it as simple as possible and the cable as short as possible.