Range and Antenna placement using PCI Max 2004

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

timblack
New registered user
New registered user

Range and Antenna placement using PCI Max 2004

Post by timblack »

I am considering buying a PCI Max 2004 to use for whole-house sound distribution in my 3 floor, ~1300square foot condo. I will be buying a new computer to use as the radio/mp3/net server, and of course plan to receive the content anywhere via simple mono and stereo radios. I would like to place the server in the basement because I hate PC fan noise and it stays very cool down there. Most of our listening will be on the two upper floors, however. I would like to place the antenna either on the ceiling in the basement close to the server or on or in a wall on the 1st floor. I understand that the unobstructed range can be quite far, but does anyone have an idea how much field strength attenuation I should expect with such antenna placement? Should I expect to be able to receive my broadcast through two floors and maybe a wall or two? All are lathe and plaster, no metal firewalls, just the usual construction nails and screws.

Also, since I am about to buy a new pc, does anyone have any suggestions for features that would make PCI Max operation smoother? I am assuming that a larger form factor would be best so the card can be spaced further from the other cards/components. I have read that it is suggested to use a separate power supply with the PCI card to reduce the noise. Could someone with experience please expand on that issue?

I would prefer to use a Linux box. Any news on the Linux driver? Is it possible that you could expose a C++ or Python API for the driver calls?

Thanks,
Tim
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

I'm using one of those small factor boxes for testing PCI MAX.
It works just great in this small box.

I think the most inportant factor is how clean the power supply is.
Unfortunately the only way to see is by trying. On the other hand,
new PCI MAX cards have external power supply connector so this
can be avoided all together.

Antenna should be fine.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
madjack
New registered user
New registered user

how did you make out?

Post by madjack »

Just wondering how you made out.
I am in a condo also.
I just got my card, installed it and used the wire antenna that came with it and my neigbor who is next door and up one level can listen to my broadcast no problem.