Performance Issues

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ori

Performance Issues

Post by Ori »

I have installed the PCI-MAX 2004 on my machine with a few minor issues, which I managed to resolve.

So now it is working, and I have a few comments.

RF
==
The card is connected to a 1/4 wavelength vertival antenna through 3 meters RG58, properly plugged to the device.

The practical range (i.e. with a normal household FM receiver) is less than 10 meters (the building is made of brick, so it is not a shielding problem).

With a super-sensitive receiver I have managed a range of about 25 meters.

Changing the power output trimmer to any position made no difference whatsoever, and somehow reminded me of the common Panic Button, which actually connects to nothing.

AUDIO
=====

Mono transmission sounds fine, however when transmitting in stereo a high-pitch sound is added and it modulates with the music, thus distorting high frequencies. It also causes a headache.

This is true also if the transmission is stereophonic but the receiver is set to mono.

As I wrote, transmitting in mono solves this problem but then this is not exactly what I was trying to achieve.

Any comments?

Ori
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

I have similar isssues with "ringing" to the bass of the music. It helps to ensure the card fits properly in the pci slot. Try nudging it sligtly and see if that helps.
-empty-

Post by Guest »

I have the high pitched noise also. I also noticed that when I disconnect the audio in, the high pitched sound drops to almost nothing. Maybe there is a relationship between the indoor antenna and crappy audio cables. The shielding on stereo patch cables are nothing near those used for RF.

Also, with regard to range, an outdoor antenna mounted high up gives about a mile at 100mw using the older PCI card.

Hope this helps.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

1.) For extremely low output power check the new driver,
should fix the problem for all those who have the card
without the trimmer (software control with the slider).
There was a bug in software that only affected some PCs.

2.) If you hear a high-pitched sound in stereo mode,
contact me via email (its under contact us) and I'll give you
a solution.

3.) If you've got a weird bass response, drop me an email
also.

There's a fix for all of these problems.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128