MAX-1 Tx still going strong in NZ 24Hrs a day...

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

Grogster
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Grogster »

Hello all!
:smile:
Hello Marko and PCS team!

This is just a quick note on your forums to tell others that might read this, about the reliablilty and quality of a PCS Tx...

Basically, I brought a MAX-1 Tx from PCS about two years ago.

Once I had built the Tx, I used the HF CRO we have at work, to measure and look at the harmonics and spurs of the carrier signal.
They were all exactly as claimed on the site, with the harmonics well down.

Actually, the performance was even better then that claimed(on the RF side of things) when run at about 2-3W of output.
This is purely academic of course, as even at 6 or 7W, the figures were all as claimed.

In a nutshell, PCS's scope shot from their tests on their Tx'ers is true - you can get an exceptionally good quality Tx for only a little over a hundred bucks!!!
:eek:

There were a couple of things that I would have done differently with MAX-1, and I am happy to see that these issues have been addressed in the MAX PRO I design.
My concerns were:

* RF output transistor got too hot on MAX-1. This was easily fixed with(guess!) a bigger heatsink then the one supplied in the kit!
This issue has been solved too, in the new MAX PRO I Tx...

* MAX-1 had no audio-input adjustment. This too was easily fixed, but I see that the new MAX PRO I has had this fixed too...

All in all, MAX-1 was a great Tx, having even survived a parasitic-oscillation - this usually kills all but the best Tx'ers INSTANTLY...
But, I switched off, let it cool, applied power as a test, expecting no carrier, but bugger me, it was good as new!
:eek:
I fitted a bigger heatsink after this event, and subsequently have had no further problems.

My station went into 24Hr operation in November 2001, and has been going flawlessly since.

I reccomend PCS transmitters to anyone looking for top-of-the-line quality, at a fraction of what you would expect to pay for such quality.

Sincerely,

The Grogster
100.8FM(Powered by PCS!)
NEW ZEALAND.

PS: I have just brought a MAX PRO I kit for another station...
StormiNorm

Post by StormiNorm »

WOW AGAIN!BRILLIANT OBSERVATION THERE OLD CHAP
Grogster
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Grogster »

The MAX PRO 1 is pretty much the best low-power Tx I have come across. Run at 2-3 watts, it is EXCEPTIONALLY clean and stable.
You start to lose a little of the purity, if MAX is pushed right up to 5 watts and above, and also, you have to increase the voltage, and this leaves no room for error, but 5 or 6 watts is definetly possible with this unit.

Within a few months, I will be buying yet another PRO-1 Tx, as they are just so good!
I have sold two Tx units over here, to low-power users, my Tx'ers making use of the PCS MAX-1 PRO Tx modules...

An excellent Tx for the price.

G.
StormiNorm

Post by StormiNorm »

Yea! wickid Grogster...The whole Clan is being outfitted with the M1P i gather...good choice,cant beat it for the price..keep on buying
lanceboil
New registered user
New registered user

Post by lanceboil »

On 2002-08-13 13:01, pcs wrote:
NormB,

If someone needs an old manual and asks for
it via email, we deliver.
Hey Marko!
Could I please get a manual for the old max 1 unit? Pretty please?:)

lanceboil
lanceboil@yifan.net
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Hey, I said via email :smile:

I just sent it to someone who asked
for it, was it you (under another email?)

Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
StormiNorm

Post by StormiNorm »

Yo GROGSTER WUZZ UP BRO'??
Grogster
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Grogster »

I'm here, dude!!!

VERY busy today - will write something in here later tonight after work.

To MARKO: The type approval thing is MOST EXCELLENT!!!!! - I won't have to worry about this anymore!

G.
Grogster
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Grogster »

Hokey pokey.

To respond to a couple of things here, now that I have clocked off for the day:

* Norm; Re: PCS pictures - they are adaquite, in my opinion, and you should get yourself a copy of the latest manual for the MP1, if you don't already, cos the pictures in there are EXCELLENT - with nice extreme close-ups, all with wonderful clarity!!!
A fine job, and PCS have obviously either had feedback about hard to follow bits, and have made photos of these stages, or something. These photos are very good indeed in quality - somewhat hard to beat even!!!
:wink:

* Norm; Re: Reliability of MAX tx'ers - I have only ever had one major complaint about the PCS modules, and this was back in the days of the MAX-1(now discontinued, I think), and this was related to the fact that the final had an overheating issue, and sorta caused the 2sc1971 to attempt thermal-runaway.

MP1 is excellent - very little heat when run at 7W, with the final bolted to the case, and your finger on the case of the 2sc1971.

Interestingly, I modified my original MAX-1 unit to reflect the same heatsinking method as in the MP1, and it worked beautifully. All I did was remove the 2sc1971, and using my "SuperTool" mini-drill with a cutting-wheel attached, sliced out a shape in the PCB just like on the MP1, and re-attached the 2sc1971; bolting it to the case using a block of aluminium as in the MP1. This solved all my heat problems, even better then using a bigger heatsink, as I did first in an attempt to solve the overheating.

Heat will kill almost anything electronic faster then anything else!!!
:sad:

I could spot no noticable change for the worse in the harmonics/spurs on the scope when I fired it up after this mod.

* Packaging - Yes, BW packaging could be better. It would be nice if all the LPFM manufacturers(PCS included) were to stick the IC's for their kits, into some conductive foam to protect the pins from sometimes severe bending in transit. Also, this would protect any/all CMOS type chips from static damage - at least untill the constructor gets hold of them!!!
:wink:

* I think that PCS are the best out of all the LPFM supplier with respect to responding to e-mail questions. If you want a Q answered, send it to them at <info@pcs-electronics.com>, and I have found that generally, I get a useful responce from Marko and the team at PCS by the next day...

Catch ya later!

G.
TankEngine
New registered user
New registered user

Post by TankEngine »

Hi there Grogster,

I'm a great music buff, and would like to set up my own radio station on Waiheke Island (broadcasting over the Hauraki Gulf to Auckland)

Could you maybe offer some advise, tips and tricks, before I buy a PCI Max.

Thanks

Tank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TankEngine on 2002-09-04 17:27 ]</font>
Grogster
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Grogster »

I will e-mail you directly shortly...

G.