PC transmitter...attach to cb antenna in 10 story building?

Discuss antenna construction, problems, tuning, designs...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

kzstreetfight
New registered user
New registered user

PC transmitter...attach to cb antenna in 10 story building?

Post by kzstreetfight »

Wow...I'm sure you veterans are sick of seeing crazy questions like this, but I might as well ask. I'm in a building with a cb placed behind my desk, the antenna is connected in a series with other cb radios on this floor and in other parts of the building. That way, vehicles that are "in the field" can be communicated with. My question is, will the PC fm transitter, with the right connector adapters, connect and transmit through the cb antenna they have on the roof of the building? If not, I do not have access to the roof, so could not possibly place an antenna up there. Is there any way this could work? If it did work, would it cause interference on the cb radios?
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

How did you place CB antenna there?
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
kzstreetfight
New registered user
New registered user

Post by kzstreetfight »

The antenna was already there, it's in the building where I work. It simply goes from the back of a Kenwood TK-762H into the ceiling tiles, and I'm just assuming it connects to others in the building, and eventually finds its way to the roof. There are quite a few different antennas on the roof, not sure what they all are. With the cb's, you can be reached in a vehicle anywhere in the city. I guess there's different relay stations?

I'll try to look into it a little further...it would be so easy to run this antenna into the back of my computer and shoot some FM radio out in the downtown area. This CB here at my station never gets used.
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by RadioMan »

the Kenwood TX your talking about is not a CB. It is for VHF/UHF communication. From the Kenwood web site:

"Wideband design provides coverage across most common VHF & UHF bands (see specifications) VHF: 148 ~ 174 MHz and 136 ~ 156 MHz. UHF: 450 MHz ~ 476 MHz, 470 MHz ~ 496 MHz, 488 MHz ~ 512 MHz and 406 MHz ~ 430 MHz. ""

RM
kzstreetfight
New registered user
New registered user

Post by kzstreetfight »

I take it that's bad........aww, you know all these walkie talkies, CB's and shit are all the same...right? You know, squeeze the button and say "breaker breaker" and all that good shit...he he he

So I gues this little scheme won't work...maybe I can sneak a big ass antenna up there...maybe they won't notice :)
kzstreetfight
New registered user
New registered user

Post by kzstreetfight »

I got another stupid thought...how about I wrap a long big old monkey rigged piece of coax cable aRouNd the fire escape on the outside of the building...make a huge antenna out of the bastard... would it work...huh...would it, would it...yeeeeeeehawwwwww
cyphonix
New registered user
New registered user

Post by cyphonix »

Whatever you do, you'll want to make sure it properly tunes to your transmit frequency. In other words, you want your SWR as close to 1:1 as possible. Check out the diamond SX-200 power meter/SWR meter. If SWRs are too high (improper tuning of the antenna), you will cause your amp to shut down or fry itself.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Nope
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by RadioMan »

What I would probably do if I were in your situation, would be to hook it up & see what happens-HOWEVER...THAT IS NOT GENERALY A GOOD IDEA- and I'm NOT recommending it. I tend to be impulsive or compuslive. Things could happen that would be thought of as bad ..i.e. blowing, frying, demolishing a transistor, cap or other important thing.

If it is a commercially made antenna, try & find a model # or company that you could look up on the web.

Don't do what I would do-please!

RM