how to avoid Dopler DF

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

stylzmovement
Compulsive poster:)
Compulsive poster:)

how to avoid Dopler DF

Post by stylzmovement »

what do you guys do to avoid the FCC and DTI direction finding equipment ?
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by RadioMan »

I've only been on-air for 3 & 1/2 months so I'm not a good example. But what I have done is this:

1) Make sure my frequency is open (no one for at least 70 miles, about a hours drive, from my location). I also found a frequency that has 1st & 2nd adjancent frequencys open in both directions(example: center or fundamental freq at 98.1Mhz. Nothing at 97.7, 97.9, 98.1, 98.3, 98.5.
The FCC requires this for LPFM's. For full power commerical-type operations, they have to have 3 adjancent channels open on each side. This is a great way to make sure your not stepping on anyone else.

2) Keep the signal as clean as possible. Don't overmodulate. I use an old Sony 3/4" U-matic VCR that has an audio limiter built in. I have no use for it anymore so I just set it to input and pass my audio thru it. That way if I run my mixer (Mackie 12 channel-pretty clean itself) too hot the limiter in the VCR holds it to acceptable levels-no distortion.

3) I have checked with my neighbors to see if they are getting any interference on their TV or house radios. I don't tell them why I'm asking however. If they ask me, I just say that "I picked up some interference the other night and wanted to see if others have also."

4) I don't say anything to bring attention to myself. I try to sound as professional as the big guys. I don't say I'm a pirate or microbroadcaster, I don't use foul language, I don't use my real name, I don't give out my phone number or address (although I'd love to know if anyone is really listening), and I use logos's and call letters. The FCC (commish) has a "call letter finder" at their website. They also have a "frequency finder" that will tell you if a particular freq is open in your location. You need to know the lattitude & longitude of your exact location. It is a good idea to use calls that no one else use's. Don't idenify yourself as "KQRS" when their is a BIG "KQRS" in the midwest. (Don't use KCUF. Someone actually applied for that and the commish turned it down with no explanation needed.)

5) I know exactly how far my signal is going out. I live in a large city and I don't want to go too far. I got in my car, drove around & made a coverage map.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts, right or wrong.

Good luck, have fun.

Radioman