PCS Electronics PCS Electronics - home page PCS Electronics  
RegisterSearchFAQAM & FM Radio transmitters shop UsergroupsLog in
Preferred Antenna

Reply to topic    PCS-Electronics Forum Index » Polls - vote on different subjects View previous topic
View next topic
Preferred Antenna

Favourite Antenna
Single Dipole
Double stacked Dipole
1/4 Wave
5/8 Wave
Yagi
Slim Jim
View Results
Titanium
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post Preferred Antenna Reply with quote
I know this is subjective and subject to your environment but what is widely regarded as the most favourable antenna for LPFM use ?
Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
marek
Regular poster
Regular poster

sw.gif

Post Reply with quote
I think this depends on which area I wish to cover and where the site is. If the site is outside a city and you wish to cover the city a yagi could be preferable as well as 5/8 can be quite sufficient if you are within the area you wish to cover.
Marek
Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:23 am View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Titanium
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post Reply with quote
marek wrote:
I think this depends on which area I wish to cover and where the site is. If the site is outside a city and you wish to cover the city a yagi could be preferable as well as 5/8 can be quite sufficient if you are within the area you wish to cover.
Marek

As i mention it is obviously subjective, when you mention "within the area you wish to cover" surely all aerials cover their immediate surrounds?
s
Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Yoda
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post Reply with quote
Personally I like the slim jim design. I have built a few different antennas (i'm not fantastic at it, but can follow guides and make calculations etc and if you can do it, it is far cheaper than purchasing one).

I have built a dipole, stacked dipole (this was a knightmare to tune and eventually I gave up and moved on...), 5/8 wave vertical (that snapped in the wind), a J-pole and finally I have built a slim jim variant that to be honest, rocks with a noticable distance improvement on signal. It is strong and sturdy, easy to mount and fairly easy to construct and tune. I have mine to about 1:1.1 VSWR which I think is excellent for a home made antenna.
Here is a pic of my antenna http://www.dreamtechnologies.co.uk/other/slim_jim.jpg

May the force be with you.

http://www.radiorave.co.uk/
Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:10 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RadioMan
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post slim jim Reply with quote
i agree with the "slim jim". I tried a dipole, vertical, and "slim Jim". I was dissapointed tremendously with the vertical, same with the dipole. But the slim jim seems to work great! Distance is wonderful and the coverage is omni-directional. It is also very easy to make.
Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Black_Hawk
Compulsive poster:)
Compulsive poster:)

Location: Entering The Flags...but simply an arm wielding a sword signifying power

Post NOW HERE IS A GDAMN VERTICAL YOU ALL WISH YOU HAD Reply with quote

AND HERE IS THE KILLER VERTICAL MOUNT

Last edited by Black_Hawk on Mon May 31, 2004 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Mon May 31, 2004 9:21 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    PCS-Electronics Forum Index » Polls - vote on different subjects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: